Island Fires

Traffic started moving both lanes at 6 pm today. Sad to tell folks that as I drove back towards Nanaimo the lineup heading the other direction was backed up from the road work all the way past Coombs to the main highway. Crazy busy!

Counted ~750 vehicles coming the other way as we were waiting to head east during the Wed. mid day flush. Glad we were there two hours early. Lots of cars didn't make the cut off. Would really suck for those heading to PA from Nanaimo this Friday afternoon because of a nasty crash at Nanoose.

It will take years to get that hill above Angel Rock stabilized.

Just a quick question before diving into the Drive BC website; is the highway at Cameron fully opened now both ways? Heading to Tofino next month and just looking to make ferry reservations and curious if I need to take any closures into account.

Just a quick question before diving into the Drive BC website; is the highway at Cameron fully opened now both ways? Heading to Tofino next month and just looking to make ferry reservations and curious if I need to take any closures into account.
We drove to ukee last weekend. No road issues. They have a bunch of new road barriers up with fencing.

This goes into the Believe it or Not category. Trying to get some house insurance quotes for my upcoming policy renewal Our work is able to get discounts on home insurance. The company is based out of Ontario. I spoke to a girl yesterday and she said " before I ask you a bunch of questions, where are you located? I need to see if you are in a fire zone." I told her, Nanaimo.

She says, oh, you are 38 KM from and active out of control fire.

I say, where is that?

She says, Cameron Lake.

I say that has been out for months.

So.............the Provincial Government has not updated their website to reflect the actual status of the fire. I google it and the last thing I see newsworthy is that it was under control in June. Nothing later than that. The map still shows burning out of control.

Result, she has to dig further. She says all the underwriters just go by the maps.

Brother.

This goes into the Believe it or Not category. Trying to get some house insurance quotes for my upcoming policy renewal Our work is able to get discounts on home insurance. The company is based out of Ontario. I spoke to a girl yesterday and she said " before I ask you a bunch of questions, where are you located? I need to see if you are in a fire zone." I told her, Nanaimo.

She says, oh, you are 38 KM from and active out of control fire.

I say, where is that?

She says, Cameron Lake.

I say that has been out for months.

So.............the Provincial Government has not updated their website to reflect the actual status of the fire. I google it and the last thing I see newsworthy is that it was under control in June. Nothing later than that. The map still shows burning out of control.

Result, she has to dig further. She says all the underwriters just go by the maps.

Brother.

Yeah is standard in home insurance. TD will usually do it I found.

Here we go again...
https://www.facebook.com/TranBC?__c...Sehb3ASZ6v8Cfyhy-noYW-pOG4onlV&__tn__=<,P-y-R

BC Transportation and Infrastructure

esrSdonptoget049uf0e0a43l1tl9y6ric:443mds 1 0gca 0A0hYhtMalc ·

ATTN HWY 4 (CAMERON BLUFFS) TRAVELLERS

With a forecast of 80-120 millimetres of rain over the next two days, there is potential for an unplanned closure at Cameron Lakes Bluff.
Our contractor is performing enhanced monitoring activities. Crews and traffic control personnel will be on site in the event of an unplanned closure,

Check DriveBC for updates, to know before you go.

Back