Is prawning done for the year?

Baxter

I am brand new to prawning.

In May I finally bought traps etc. Dropped them in June. First time out, got my limit! Beginners luck?

This past weekend I dropped again. Same spot. Same bait. I got 1. One single prawn.

Curious - has the time of year just passed? (I can catch salmon all day long, but prawning is a whole new world to me).

There are a few differences, and I know they matter, but I still expected to get some:

First Time:
Date: June 29, 2024
Tide at Start: Right at Low tide, 2.2m - tide coming in for entire soak
Time: 8am-11am
Prawns: 124

Second Time:
Date: Aug 17, 2024
Tide at Start: Just after Low tide - Tide was 1.8m when traps dropped. Tide coming in for entire soak
Time: 1:00pm - 4:30pm
Prawns: 1

So tide conditions were nearly identical, but time of day was much different. Wondering if the time alone was enough to have no prawns, or if the season is essentially over at this point?

I am tracking this data so I can make solid observations over time, but after only two soaks, hard to come to any conclusions!

I could note the location, but I know everyone is hesitant to share their spots on here, so I will keep that a secret :)

Also, it is not lost on me that for the two times I got 124 and then 1 prawn, for a total of 125 - same as a one day limit. Kinda funny. Maybe the one from this weekend fell out of the trap in June and just wanted to come find his buddies.

bio mass moves around, find em first. test areas, then fish them.

Will only get better now thru the fall since the commercial plunder is over. They definitely move around. Our best production is a 2 to 4 hour soak thru a slack tide.

Will only get better now thru the fall since the commercial plunder is over. They definitely move around. Our best production is a 2 to 4 hour soak thru a slack tide.
Awesome. Sounds like it is just bad luck on my part this weekend. :)

2 questions, were you exact on your depth, like within 20'? And was there any fish farms close by? Oh and did you bonk a rock cod and put it in your trap for it to come back to life (asking for a friend)? K 3 questions...

If I get off my spot slightly I can definitely go from hero to zero pretty quick. Sometimes it takes some time to get decent averages.

I think the consistency of the drop is also a factor. eg. I can hit a known good spot, in the right season (winter), and come up dry one day. I am pretty sure that the drop gets screwed up in some way. eg. the trap is moving around too much...or the trap dropped on some slope...or, whatever. So the data logging is a great way to understand the patterns, and exclude odd outliers.

In our area the commercial guys wipe us out badly. Its kinda pointless to try till fall. What is there now is small.

I always drop 2 traps nearby eachother. Some areas I get similar numbers out of both the traps. I've had a number of times where I've been skunked (or almost) in 1 trap ~100 feet away from the other which is stuffed. Seems to depend on the hole. My main spot has reduced in size since commercial guys, but still getting good numbers

Last edited:
Back