Invasive goldfish the size of footballs are spreading from Vancouver to other parts of B.C., researcher warns

I remember a few years back a guy posted a video about dragon lake infestation. He got so much push back he took down the video. Some were claiming that the trophy trout that were in the lake were stuffed with goldfish.

I wonder if they make good bait for Hali?

I know people in other countries who use freshwater fish for bait and they say it's worth trying.

Crab would go for them I bet especially if you stepped on the carcass before putting it in the trap.

all the news articles never say where the problem is, we need more names and awareness as this would be great on the Ultra light or take kids there to clean out.
In calgary they have lakes over run with perch with no limits and its free for all cleaning out these lakes

I remember a few years back a guy posted a video about dragon lake infestation. He got so much push back he took down the video. Some were claiming that the trophy trout that were in the lake were stuffed with goldfish.
I fish there. The trout actually do eat the goldfish.
The do also net the goldfish out every year when they school up along the shore.

I fish there. The trout actually do eat the goldfish.
The do also net the goldfish out every year when they school up along the shore.

yeah i think people were worried that they would kill off the lake, looking at some recent updates on it looks like they choose to electric fish for them in the shallows.

My cousin, who lives on Sproat Lake, says the lake is full of Koi and goldfish. Not sure how true it is, but he says he's seen plenty of them.

My cousin, who lives on Sproat Lake, says the lake is full of Koi and goldfish. Not sure how true it is, but he says he's seen plenty of them.

Attachments

• SproatCarp_2021_ProgressReport_1651171194587_97FCFC08F0.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 65

Webinar Registration - Don't Let it Loose!

Description
In this webinar you will hear presentations about commonly released invasive species from the pet and aquarium trade and their impacts on Canada's landscapes and waters. Our feature speaker is Brian Heise, faculty member in the Department of Natural Resource Sciences at Thompson Rivers University, in Kamloops BC, who will present "Trouble outside the tank: negative impacts and control of invasive goldfish in BC". The goldfish, Carassius auratus, is one of the most popular aquarium fishes in the world, but can damage lakes and rivers due to its competition with native fishes for food, its predation on the eggs and larvae of amphibians, its uprooting and consumption of aquatic plants, and the parasites it could spread to native salmonids. To control goldfish, we should consider the use of boat electrofishing in the spring, and stronger policies regarding pet industry practices surrounding the release vs. return of pet fishes.
Time
Mar 29, 2023 01:00 PM in Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Back