Inboards vs Outboards

Fishallspec

Everbody has an opinion on what is"BEST".We all know what is good for one guy isn't good for the other.The idea here is What do LIKE about your drive system.I personally prefer out boards ,I like the cockpit space increase(no dog house).Just one reason to get things going.

My personal preference is also outboards.
more interior space in the boat, and easier access
to work on them.
i think it depends on whether or not you have owned a
lemon that can really twist your opinion.

scotty

I am fussy about space in the back of my boat, so I like an outboard on a sea drive(I think thats what you call it; the extending bracket).
However, I have never run an inboard so i guess my opinion is a little biased.

Thanks Captain Dudds

I have had both and I prefer outboard for reasons already mentioned.I also prefer 2 stroke over 4 for lots of reasons.I have not had anything to with V drive however.SO???

I take an outie over an inie, any day!!!

Some like it rough...
Others just puke!.

Mr. Dean

I like my Mercruiser inboard mostly because i can perform most maitenance and diagnos most gremlins myself, also parts and rebuilds are reasonable. Overall an inboard properly maintained, usually accepts more operating hours before needing a complete rebuild as well. And in most cases i can keep an inboard running with the spare parts on board to limp home. without the kicker.

However, a 225 Yami or a Verodo on a pod always improves the ride, less weight and increases room to store more gear.Yet if it breaks down,im almost lost due to the amount of electronics and computer CDI devices that make them run properly.

Yet if money were not a issue, i would go to the benifts of the outboard for the ride quality alone.

Both have there good points.

quote:
I like my Mercruiser inboard mostly because i can perform most maitenance and diagnos most gremlins myself, also parts and rebuilds are reasonable. Overall an inboard properly maintained, usually accepts more operating hours before needing a complete rebuild as well. And in most cases i can keep an inboard running with the spare parts on board to limp home. without the kicker.
Are you talking motor maintence/diagnosis, outdrive or both?
Yes the motors are nearly bulletproof and easy to maintain but the outdrives are another entity alltogether. DO you have an ALpha or Bravo drive?
Have you had to do any major outdrive repairs like Gimbal bearing replacement, u-joint replacement or resealing the lower unit?
JMHO Outboards win the cost/maintenance/repair battle.

Hurston, I agree for some it may be? However;

All i'm saying is what i like about what i have. I can do all the work myself on an inboard/outboard. Therfore it is more cost effective for me personally to go inboard, so i did. My rig is also quite new. I am well aware of all the fun involved in gimble bearings, exhaust boots. etc. However with proper greasing and maintenance most big repairs are a non-event.

When the time comes for an upgrade, I will consider a POD and Outboard on mine or just get a Osprey or Welded Job.

I have to agree with maddog.Also I like the look of an inboard.My 4.3 Volvo gxi runs smooth and has o.k. fuel economy.Some of this outboard hype is generated by the manufacturers.

I have a Trophy with a 220 HP 4.3 Vortec I/O. I do fish the interior lakes as well as a few trips to the saltchuck every year.I have a heater, which is sure nice on the cold mornings. We do fish the lakes during the winter, which requires a heater. I looked at both options when I bought my boat, and have spent a lot of time over the years fishing at Barkely Sound, Cambell River, Victoria, and clearly most of the guide boats have outboards. A guide boat owner once told me one of the reasons he prefer outboards is the ability to quick change or trade in. He said usually cannot finance a repair/overhaul to an I/O but the dealers will sell you a new outboat on time. and, every day the boat is down during the season is costly. I notice many of the bigger guide outfits have a spare outboard at their dock, just in case.
The new I/O have come a long way - they are powerful, economical to run, and fuel efficent. The fuel injection types are very trouble free, start well, and the hazards from carb. backfire are gone.
However my next boat will be 24 - 26 foot, and many of the good fishing rigs are set up for one or 2 big outboards.
Not sure what I will buy, but both engine/drive types are way better than in years past.
I think tradition may have a lot to do with the choice.

Well I have a inboard as well and I toyed with the idea of pod/ outboard but 25 grand made me think twice so went with a newer v8 and if something happens a rebuild moter 2 grand new outboard 20 grand do the math!!!!!!!!!

Another feature I really like is I can fix it myself can you fix a 4 stroke by yourself, NO some need specialized tools and with the computors on those things there very hard to fix on your own.

As repairs to the drive, on the unit I have theirs a little bottle on top of the engine that is hooked up to the leg so every time I go out I look at it and if there is any discolor in it out it comes to get serviced on an outboard you never know how bad it is until you change the leg oil and with some people they dont know until it way too late. As for the the other parts of the unit I personally take the leg off every year for new u joints and and water pump and while its out the gimble gets greased as is every time I take the boat out been 5 years now and havent needed a new gimble and trust me you will hear it if your paying attention to your boat if its starting to go.

It all comes down to ONE thing preventive matenance on both outboard and inboards.

Every time I haul my Boat out the gimble and every thing else gets greased also new zincs If you dont then your asking for trouble or youll be paying major $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and you have nobody but yourself to blame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prices are usually the same for both so it doest matter nobody WINS the battle.

Good luck Wolf

Edited by - wolf on 02/03/2006 16:15:46

Another neat thing about inboards/outboards is that you can attach inline water seperator/filters combo for the stern drive oil, Some guys even put coolant filters on! All just cheap preventative stuff.

Anyone find that the ride in an inboard is smoother less pounding ?

I have an 18ft Livingston/cuddy cabin with 115hp Yamaha and a n 8hp /4 stroke kicker with standard transom mount and recently rode in a 18 ft inboard(Volvo) Hourston 181/2 ft and found there was less pounding in medium seas as opposed to my outboard model.

Just thinking out loud .

AL

fellows, don't be to quick to change your IO over to outboards with a bracket, there is drawbacks, for one thing because the motor is way back there they have a tendancy to ride very wet when your bucking weather, dipping down into the water, also your lines and gear get hooked up easier, just something to think about.

I hear ya on the Preventative Maintenance issue Wolf!
Wouldn't have had to tow a couple of the Ladz back in last year IF they had paid any attention to that little detail! And both of them were running outboards on pods.

I'm running a 351 Cleveland in the Sea Ray. She's a little beefed, so a little thirsty as a consequence. BUT, I love the ride, love the power, and the sound of that Baby roaring simply turns me on!! Ain't gonna be switchin' anytime soon.

Cheers,
Nog

Back