I/O conversion options?

Inchebe

Hi all,

I will preface this with the statement that I am a complete novice in all things boating.

I have read several threads here and elsewhere detailing I/O conversions. The standard being to pod the boat. I have also seen a handful of threads where an IO conversion was achieved through cutting down the transom, strengthening it, putting the OB on the strengthened transom, and then having a well where the old inboard was.

Now the obvious disadvantage of the second option is that you do not gain any deck space, however for the average builder this would appear to be a far safer / easier conversion for 2 reasons, 1 there is no need to engineer the pod (some horrible diy versions are online which have had massive failures) and secondly the weight distribution on the boat would not change nearly as much as it would with a pod.

Please help a novice in understanding why more people do not opt for the transom I/O conversion on smaller boats in the 16-20 range, is it as simple as the deck space issue?

Hi all,

I will preface this with the statement that I am a complete novice in all things boating.

I have read several threads here and elsewhere detailing I/O conversions. The standard being to pod the boat. I have also seen a handful of threads where an IO conversion was achieved through cutting down the transom, strengthening it, putting the OB on the strengthened transom, and then having a well where the old inboard was.

Now the obvious disadvantage of the second option is that you do not gain any deck space, however for the average builder this would appear to be a far safer / easier conversion for 2 reasons, 1 there is no need to engineer the pod (some horrible diy versions are online which have had massive failures) and secondly the weight distribution on the boat would not change nearly as much as it would with a pod.

Please help a novice in understanding why more people do not opt for the transom I/O conversion on smaller boats in the 16-20 range, is it as simple as the deck space issue?
Deck space is key in fishing comfortably. And the pod provides floatation to offset the weight being further back.

I'd much rather weld an aluminum pod than fibreglass in a transom well. But I'm an aluminum guy so that's at my disposal.

Are you wanting to attempt this on your own? personally cutting the transom down is not even on my radar as an option but to each his own.

Reliability was my main one last year. I also podded not to make money on it but to have a boat made way I wanted it.

An inboard on a 18ft or 19ft really sucks in my opinion from running for 12 years. Starting getting scary doing trips in remote areas and breaking down constantly.

POD projects people think it's a money making project. Don't think it is really going through it.

So back to your question space saving was really secondary.

Last edited:
Pod also puts the kicker and main the same line so connecting steering is a breeze. It's always a pain to hook up steering when your kicker is 2' further back than your main.

If you paid a experienced fiberglass guy to do that it would cost about the same in the end. Quite possibly more. With no gain in comparison.

Are you wanting to attempt this on your own? personally cutting the transom down is not even on my radar as an option but to each his own.
At the moment I am just looking at options trying to understand the pro's and con's of each option. Not decided on what I will attempt yet

Reliability was my main one last year. I also podded not to make money on it but to have a boat made way I wanted it.

An inboard on a 18ft or 19ft really sucks in my opinion from running for 12 years. Starting getting scary doing trips in remote areas and breaking down constantly.

POD projects people think it's a money making project. Don't think it is really going through it.

So back to your question space saving was really secondary.
I think a conversion is definitely the answer, what do you mean by money making?

What boat do you have and what do you want to do with it? Repowering an inboard is much cheaper than doing a conversion to outboard.Selling what you have and finding something more suitable (with outboard) is alway's cheaper too unless your motor is shot.

What boat do you have and what do you want to do with it? Repowering an inboard is much cheaper than doing a conversion to outboard.Selling what you have and finding something more suitable (with outboard) is alway's cheaper too unless your motor is shot.
At this stage I don’t have a boat. I am looking for something that I can ‘make my own’. We have just moved to the lower mainland and I have always been into fishing, never lived on the coast.

In an ideal world I am thinking of buying something in the next 2 months, using it this summer and then customizing it over the winter.

I have a wife and daughter who are keen to participate.. as in go out with my son and I but I know that they will want a dry place out of the cold. I think a cuddly cabin may be the starting point and possibly converting it to a small Alaskan inspired cabin. Almost like a covered bow rider if that makes sense? A compromise between a fishing boat and a covered mini pleasure cruiser….

I like the look of the double eagles but will see what is available .. around 19 foot would be the target.

At this stage I don’t have a boat. I am looking for something that I can ‘make my own’. We have just moved to the lower mainland and I have always been into fishing, never lived on the coast.

In an ideal world I am thinking of buying something in the next 2 months, using it this summer and then customizing it over the winter.

I have a wife and daughter who are keen to participate.. as in go out with my son and I but I know that they will want a dry place out of the cold. I think a cuddly cabin may be the starting point and possibly converting it to a small Alaskan inspired cabin. Almost like a covered bow rider if that makes sense? A compromise between a fishing boat and a covered mini pleasure cruiser….

I like the look of the double eagles but will see what is available .. around 19 foot would be the target.
You don’t really get a Cuddy under 18’ and they are small at that size of boat. Not sure what you mean by a covered bow rider. Sounds like a Cuddy to me unless you are thinking a canvas over the bowrider is going to provide a nice dry space up in the bow. That’ll be a wet ride in the “Cuddy” but the canvas would shed some of the water off I suppose.

I’d look at a double eagle 206 if I was you.

You don’t really get a Cuddy under 18’ and they are small at that size of boat. Not sure what you mean by a covered bow rider. Sounds like a Cuddy to me unless you are thinking a canvas over the bowrider is going to provide a nice dry space up in the bow. That’ll be a wet ride in the “Cuddy” but the canvas would shed some of the water off I suppose.

I’d look at a double eagle 206 if I was you.
Appreciate the advice. When I say a covered bow rider I am thinking the comfortable seating layout but with a hard top cabin … maybe with a series of windows… thinking average weather the ladies are dry and comfortable up front…. Cuddly cabin would need to be raised so that there is comfortable head room in the bow. Not sure if that makes sense ….

Appreciate the advice. When I say a covered bow rider I am thinking the comfortable seating layout but with a hard top cabin … maybe with a series of windows… thinking average weather the ladies are dry and comfortable up front…. Cuddly cabin would need to be raised so that there is comfortable head room in the bow. Not sure if that makes sense ….
Nope it sure doesn’t Make sense. And I want you to try boats out in the ocean and tug boat waves before you proceed the way I’m interpreting what you’re saying lol

Back