Howe Sound Prawning

Bennie

Have never tried to prawn in Howe Sound, was wondering about general locations and is it worth trying this time of year?
Thanks, appreciate any info
Regards

Try 300 foot off south east keats or 300 drop off off of bowen south side. basically try to look for a steep drop off and set it 260 - 300. They are in troughs so the back side of keats just set it in 300. Should be getting better and better I would set a minimum of 4 traps.

Hi, thanks for info. I will try those areas next time out, guess I would need at least 450 feet of line and weighted traps

Hi, thanks for info. I will try those areas next time out, guess I would need at least 450 feet of line and weighted traps
If your running two traps on a set your going to want 500’ minimum if dropping in anything over 300’ to be safe. Make sure you have sufficient weight between your float and first trap. I run 15# weight 15’ before first trap, you don’t want your float tugging on trap from wind and waves, prawns won’t go in if it’s moving.

Hi, time to buy more line, have 1 setup at 600 feet and one at 400 feet.
One setup of Ladner traps have lots of weight and one set of Bauer style, not so much

Horseshoe Bay; over at the hole in the wall, 240-280'
Seymour Bay.
Mannion Bay, north side.
Sunset marina/Bill's Point.
south east edge of Dorman bay.
in front of Fishermans Cove , out towards Passage, 240-300'
Lions bay area.

Horseshoe Bay; over at the hole in the wall, 240-280'
Seymour Bay.
Mannion Bay, north side.
Sunset marina/Bill's Point.
south east edge of Dorman bay.
in front of Fishermans Cove , out towards Passage, 240-300'
Lions bay area.
All those areas have zero prawns... you shouldn't try them. Your traps will probably get stolen anyways. Better to avoid the whole area.

Back