How Much Weight Can a Scotty Puller Handle

Marley

Hi Guys

I recently had my prawn traps stolen and am setting up a new set.

I was thinking if I ran 4 traps on one line with a heavier weight either end say 10 lbs it would be less likely to get pulled. Just not sure if that is practical with a Scotty puller.

Thoughts?

Don’t think it is legal to run more than 2 prawn traps on one line with a recreational license.

Also would be pretty heavy for a regular prawn puller to lift up if they were all full of prawns.

Last edited:
Quick google search says the max capacity of the Scotty puller is 100lbs. The weight and drag of pulling four traps up would definitely be more than that.

Also don’t think it solves your problem. From what I’ve seen of trap poachers, they are not pulling by hand or with a Scotty, probably using an Ace or something even more powerful. Seems like you’d be making it easier for them to get all your gear. With two traps on one string they’d have to pull two strings to get four traps; going with four on a string, they’d have two floats to choose from, and either would give them the whole set.

I know its boring but sometimes staying with your traps is worth it. Or fish close to them to keep eye out. You only need a few hours if you really know what your doing anyway.
It's a nice time to re-tie gear, read a book, fix something etc. Always something to do. And as you said, sometimes the 1.5 hour soak is either hugely successful. Either because you caught a lot, or none at all. In which case you might want to move them anyway. Besides all that, who wants to waste time prawning when the fishing is good!

It's a nice time to re-tie gear, read a book, fix something etc. Always something to do. And as you said, sometimes the 1.5 hour soak is either hugely successful. Either because you caught a lot, or none at all. In which case you might want to move them anyway. Besides all that, who wants to waste time prawning when the fishing is good!
That’s true. I am just thinking about winter fishing. Probably best just to hang out by the traps.

GTR. galvanic timed releases.

or use a piece of driftwood with an eye screwed into the bottom.

this for the real theft/poachy areas. we used to use these methods 20 years ago around quadra where the amount of theft was ridiculous.

this for the real theft/poachy areas. we used to use these methods 20 years ago around quadra where the amount of theft was ridiculous.
Tried the driftwood idea near Sand Heads a few years ago. One out of two were still there when we returned.

That’s true. I am just thinking about winter fishing. Probably best just to hang out by the traps.
With my career, I often get to go out during the middle of the week, but not as much on the weekends. I find if I drop my crab traps around Spanish Banks on a Tuesday morning, as an example, when I come back they are usually untouched. On a weekend or even Friday, it’s a different story though.

Hi Guys

I recently had my prawn traps stolen and am setting up a new set.

I was thinking if I ran 4 traps on one line with a heavier weight either end say 10 lbs it would be less likely to get pulled. Just not sure if that is practical with a Scotty puller.

Thoughts?
Have you successfully trap fished in this area in the past, using the setup that is missing? I ask, respectfully, because often "stolen" traps are actually incorrectly set up or located: insufficient rope, insufficient weight, incorrectly configured weights, set too deep, high current area.

We're coming off a spring tide cycle, when currents run hard. In the past, I tried pulling mine in mid tide on springs and couldn't find the buoy despite searching all around my waypoint. Went back again after a couple hours, the tide had eased, and there was the buoy on the surface and everything in order below. Without thinking it through properly, I'd dropped in a high current area and the surface flow at full springs was enough to force the too-small ball below the surface. Have you been back on a slack tide to check that the trap set might be still there?

Have you successfully trap fished in this area in the past, using the setup that is missing? I ask, respectfully, because often "stolen" traps are actually incorrectly set up or located: insufficient rope, insufficient weight, incorrectly configured weights, set too deep, high current area.

We're coming off a spring tide cycle, when currents run hard. In the past, I tried pulling mine in mid tide on springs and couldn't find the buoy despite searching all around my waypoint. Went back again after a couple hours, the tide had eased, and there was the buoy on the surface and everything in order below. Without thinking it through properly, I'd dropped in a high current area and the surface flow at full springs was enough to force the too-small ball below the surface. Have you been back on a slack tide to check that the trap set might be still there?
That is a good point. I have trapped there three years in a row. The first year my buoy got pulled under by the tide and I was able to retrieve at slack when it popped back up.

The second year I got a bigger buoy and it stayed above at all tides. This year I came back a few times at slack thinking maybe they got pulled under. One of the times it was flat and we searched the area with the boat and binoculars.

Also where the traps were set if they did get moved by the current they would have been pushed into shallow water.

I was hoping I was wrong but I am pretty sure they were taken.

I saw the GTR on Deadliest Catch. Seemed like a good idea. Would that work with a small recreational setup?

I saw the GTR on Deadliest Catch. Seemed like a good idea. Would that work with a small recreational setup?
i think they are only legal for commercial use in some areas of the states.. but yes. they do. work, we used to use weighted traps and just a cork float.

Trap theft not withstanding, I'd confirm the gunnels on the boat can manage the stress of multiple traps. It would blow big time to find out the hardway...

Anyone have a picture of how the GTR is used to keep a prawn or crab trap buoy below the surface? What is used as a disposable weight?

Back