How much do you use your little boat/dingy?

I like the bracket idea.
I was my BIL’s idea and I had the base made out of 1/2” aluminum and fastened a couple of layers of 1/2” Starboard to sandwich the main bracket. It’s held on with three bolts and I can remove it if I want to. It’s handy to tie the dinghy alongside and transfer from the bracket to the dinghy from inside it. Most of the time I just row the dinghy to shore but on longer excursions I take the little outboard with.
How do you safely transfer the kicker off the bracket on your boat onto the dinghy? I'm thinking about adding a davit & winch for our sailboat and hoisting the kicker with a lifting harness. That's been the biggest pain for me so far.

I was my BIL’s idea and I had the base made out of 1/2” aluminum and fastened a couple of layers of 1/2” Starboard to sandwich the main bracket. It’s held on with three bolts and I can remove it if I want to. It’s handy to tie the dinghy alongside and transfer from the bracket to the dinghy from inside it. Most of the time I just row the dinghy to shore but on longer excursions I take the little outboard with.
So slick

How do you safely transfer the kicker off the bracket on your boat onto the dinghy? I'm thinking about adding a davit & winch for our sailboat and hoisting the kicker with a lifting harness. That's been the biggest pain for me so far.
I don’t know how ‘safe’ it is LOL but I tie the dinghy snugly alongside with the stern right beside the bracket. I tie a rope from the grab handle on the transom to the outboard in case of a drop in the drink and lift it across. The process is just done in reverse when we get back to the boat. The dinghy is surprisingly stable so it isn’t as difficult as I originally thought it might have been.
I should add that this motor weighs just under 60 lbs so about as heavy as I would think practical. Your 9.9 might be a little bit more of a struggle.

Last edited:
i use it for the winter entirely. much easier getting a 12 footer with electric jet drive into the water than the big boat. no problem even on snow. fits in the back seat and no struggles with kickers and fuel and other nonsense. inflate with auto shut off air pump plugged into the car, drop in water on wheels, retract wheels, chuck li bat boxes and other stuff in, float off and kick in the drive with the wireless wrist controller. no cables, gas, oil, transom boards or other junk required. same when taking it on the boat. tie it off and drop it over the side, inflate with pump plugged into big boat, chuck all stuff in and untie and float off.

Last edited:
Ranger Tugs has come up with a pretty cool little storage rig.

Of course it would not be good for trolling around the dingy mount

I use mine on trips a ton. We have rod holders on it and use it for exploring and jigging and crabbing. Nice to leave the mother-ship on anchor and get back to the waterline. I even bring it up to the Cokanagan for lake fishing and hunting adventures. Mine is 8' with a 2.5HP. I'd go with a bigger motor because mine isn't fast at all.
Hey Rain City, what type of inflatable dingy do you have? Looking for one that I can easily inflate and doesn't take too much space?

I have an 8’ zodiac I store inflated on my roof(24’SeaSport Explorer) 6hp mercy on a rail mount on the transom and I use it often. Out of the way for fishing and easy to pull up or lower to the water. I use a Milwaukee cordless shop vac for inflating/deflating when necessary and it works slick

Depends on the mothership, but this is a nice little tender. The mid ship lifting eyes are handy. I love my 11 footer for fly fishing and for kokanee/ Osoyoos sockeye trolling when the 17' is in Ucluelet for the summer.

Back