how much anchor line?

C

CLUBBER

Just going to buy an anchor line what size diameter rope do I need and how many feet. any suggestions?

I got a 20ftr and used 5/8 poly with no problem so far. About 600ft. I know thats a little too much, 3-400ft should suffice.
cheers

when your halli fishing aat anchor your really just snagging bottom and trying not to move too much so the shorter that you can get away with the less you move off the fish . if your anchoring for the night and sleep thats totally different

Howdy,

Got me one o dem 45gal-drums fulla' ceement an'a coupla' thousun' feet a quarter intch pally-rope.

Got me biceps bigger'n Arnold's thighs now.

Get'er dun...

I run 450 ft rope and 50 ft of chain so I do cover more ground for halibut. but whatever you want to do if you want to stayy put in one spot for hali(shorten it up) or move around in the current (run more line) that is a total personal preferance.

Good luck Wolf

I got an anchorlift retrieving system and have an idea how it all works except how I attach the anchor line to my boat. Any help? Thanks
Clubber

anchor line to a scotchman, boat line clips onto the scotchman.
if you get into any weather/tide problems you are not hard wired
to your anchor.

Ive heard of guys hooking a rope from the bow to the stern and hooking to that

quote:Originally posted by CLUBBER

I got an anchorlift retrieving system and have an idea how it all works except how I attach the anchor line to my boat. Any help? Thanks
Clubber

Clubber:

1) Run a rope from your bow cleat to a cleat on your stern.

2) Once you have deployed your anchor (anchor puller and scotchman in place), connect the end of the anchor rope to this "bow to stern" rope with a stainless connector so it freely moves from the side of your boat up to the bow of the boat. This way your boat will generally be pointed into the wind / waves when you're anchored up.

3) When picking up your anchor, drive toward your anchor (watch the line) and your anchor line will slide down the "bow to stern" line to the stern of the boat to lift the anchor.

4) As you are bolting away, your anchor puller / Scotchman should stay in place until it reaches the end of the rope where your anchor is.

Anchoring can be very dangerous in stong currents so try it out on a slack tide.

We use 300ft of line for water up to 200 ft.

Thanks Islander

Can I attach line to the hook on the bow where I winch my boat and the other end on the tow hook at the stern and then clip the anchor line to that?

As Islanderguy say's,I use 5/16 golden braid,25 ft. of 5/16 galv. chain and a 17 lb. force anchor on a 25 ft boat.I vary the length of rope to the depth by tying a bolin on a bite in my line which is marked every 100 ft.and slides on my bow to stern line.This method works great with the puller,but be careful when hauling up or swinging in a tide turn,getting the rope caught up in your prop can be disastrous.I've pulled people off their sinking boat when they've turned stern to the tide and been sucked down,it's happened more than once,so always have a sharp knife at hand.A few hundred feet of rope and anchur is cheaper than your boat and/or your life.

The shortest rope you can get away with is best so you don't swing off the hot spots.

The average rule of thumb is 3-1 (length rode/Depth) while onboard, and 5-1 when leaving the boat unattended. You must use chain (approx 1 1/2 boatlengths) to keep the anchor down on the ocean floor. Average anchor 1 Lb/Boat ft. The diameter of the rope is usually, Large dia easy to pull by hand and small dia less drag while anchored in tide. Double Braid Nylon is very smooth w/less drag/thickness and stretches with incredible strength/dia ratio.:D Be careful..Practice lots during low current tide cycles. Always have an axe or knife handy...I,ve seen lots of disasters.

Back