How long can you keep a fresh caught fish in the fridge?

Thumper knows. The window closed after day 3. Turn it into prawns or crabs.
View attachment 109612
Was it you that was the microbiologist? I thought I remembered someone on here was. Are you Thumper???

So what he's saying is that if the fish was left uncovered in the fridge then it would be fine?

Where's the science in this?? lol
Print the last paragraph from @CBsqrd post and show it to your wife. That'd be the closest to a "scientific" feedback. If she said no, just throw it in the freezer. Divorce lawyers are more expensive than a stinky chinook fillete, "illegally" caught in 28-6.

Last edited:
Once it is sealed, the stinky bacteria have less opportunity to grow, but the botulism bacteria is odorless. Same reason you should thaw after piercing the seal on frozen packs.

Min temp for botulism growth is 3.3° C, and at this temperature growth is very, very slow. Botulism is anaerobic as well, so any oxygen in the package will prevent its growth.

At 8°C, a temperature to which chilled foods are often exposed during and after retail sale, nonproteolytic strains of C. botulinum can produce toxin within 3 weeks.
Source: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31018272/

There are around [edit] 2 dozen cases of food-borne botulism per year in the US, usually from eating canned goods that are well past their best before date, or from improperly processed canned goods that did not reach a high enough temperature for long enough to kill bacteria.

Last edited:
Once it is sealed, the stinky bacteria have less opportunity to grow, but the botulism bacteria is odorless. Same reason you should thaw after piercing the seal on frozen packs.
I don’t understand, are you saying that you should thaw frozen foods if the seal is compromised, and air enters the packaging? This is the opposite of how botulism growth works. Botulism thrives is anaerobic, warm environments.

Min temp for botulism growth is 3.3° C, and at this temperature growth is very, very slow. Botulism is anaerobic as well, so any oxygen in the package will prevent its growth.

At 8°C, a temperature to which chilled foods are often exposed during and after retail sale, nonproteolytic strains of C. botulinum can produce toxin within 3 weeks.
Source: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31018272/

There are around a dozen cases of botulism per year in the US, usually from eating canned goods that are well past their best before date, or from improperly processed canned goods that did not reach a high enough temperature for long enough to kill bacteria.
So 12/333 000 000 seems like pretty **** odds.

What about all that 12/333 000 000 talk?!

I don’t understand, are you saying that you should thaw frozen foods if the seal is compromised, and air enters the packaging? This is the opposite of how botulism growth works. Botulism thrives is anaerobic, warm environments.
Not at all, I'm saying if you take an intact package out of the freezer, it's slightly risky to leave it sealed for too long while it thaws, especially if it's sitting on the counter.

Back