High Thrust Anxiety?

Time

Advice sought, and not wanting to hijack the other kicker threads.
I have a 16 foot Arima, bare boat weight about a thousand and fifty pounds, so rigged out with a couple of people aboard, say, a bit shy of 2000 pounds. Installed a Yamaha 8, but not the high thrust model, when I got it last spring. Great little motor, but never been really satisfied with the higher rpm's necessary for trolling in a bit of a tide or wind. It pushes the boat along quite well at 6 knots, runs teriffic, but not sure if it's the ideal trolling motor for my boat.
Comments please.
Or am I just suffering from "high thrust" anxiety?
Thanks.

Sure would be nice if you could try before you buy.

Yes, but is the performance of the high thrust that much better?
In hindsight I probably should have got the HT in the first place, but now trying to decide - with the help of she who must be convinced - if a trade-up is warranted, and how to justify to she... the extra dollars involved.

Last year I bought a new 24 footer with a 8hp high thrust yamaha on it. I did not think it would be enough for a kicker motor on that large a boat, but the dealer sold me on it. He said it would push the boat well in most weather. He was right! We go to Ucluelet every July and I was able to troll with it withuot any problems. Granted if the wind is blowing hard any trolling motor will not work and this one is the same. For the money the HT Yamaha is well worth the expense. Good luck with what ever you decide. [8D]

Back