Herring run

yep there was definitly a lot of small fish this year. It was my first time fishing herring but yah a week is a long time, the weather didnt help either. We had to spend too much time sitting on the packer waiting for better weather and not enough working.

We were out in the Comox/Courtenay area yesterday and there still fishing. There were more sea lions and much bigger then I have ever seen in my lifetime, running in packs back and forth down each side of their nets. There was herring there but didn't seem to be schooling up. Yes it is true the has been a fare number of pilchards been caught mixed in with the herring.

Cheers ME

We were out in the Comox/Courtenay area yesterday and there still fishing. There were more sea lions and much bigger then I have ever seen in my lifetime, running in packs back and forth down each side of their nets. There was herring there but didn't seem to be schooling up. Yes it is true the has been a fare number of pilchards been caught mixed in with the herring.

Cheers ME

We jigged up 400 in about 3 hrs just east of Tree Island in about 20' of water, lots of herring.

BROKENROD
WEST COAST FREEK

We jigged up 400 in about 3 hrs just east of Tree Island in about 20' of water, lots of herring.

BROKENROD
WEST COAST FREEK

tree island near pylades island? or do you mean near comox?

nice catch by the way

tree island near pylades island? or do you mean near comox?

nice catch by the way

What a day on the water. Beautiful sunshine, calm as can be and herring everywhere. Caught a couple hundred in 2 hours and just finished vaccum packing them for cut plugging, anchovie and halibut bait. They all ranged from 5-10 inches long. We were just east of tree island as well know nautically as sandy island by comox.

I do the Fishing, God does the Catching!

What a day on the water. Beautiful sunshine, calm as can be and herring everywhere. Caught a couple hundred in 2 hours and just finished vaccum packing them for cut plugging, anchovie and halibut bait. They all ranged from 5-10 inches long. We were just east of tree island as well know nautically as sandy island by comox.

Just curious how are you guys catching these Herring.?
can't get over there but sounds like fun.

Just curious how are you guys catching these Herring.?
can't get over there but sounds like fun.

All we were using was a couple of point wilson darts and jigging them up. So many in each ball you can't possibly miss. Didn't have time to pick up a proper herring jig with 6-7 hooks or could have had a lot more fish!

SWC

All we were using was a couple of point wilson darts and jigging them up. So many in each ball you can't possibly miss. Didn't have time to pick up a proper herring jig with 6-7 hooks or could have had a lot more fish!

SWC

Yes, Tree Island near Comox using herring jigs, a long handled net with a small mesh could work too, most of the time they were 2-4 ft from the surface.

BROKENROD
WEST COAST FREEK

Yes, Tree Island near Comox using herring jigs, a long handled net with a small mesh could work too, most of the time they were 2-4 ft from the surface.

BROKENROD
WEST COAST FREEK

Does any one know if there are any herring in Saanich Inlet area this year? About five years ago we pulled 5 buckets in one after noon. Was just curious if any one knows if they came in to Saanich Inlet this year?

Does any one know if there are any herring in Saanich Inlet area this year? About five years ago we pulled 5 buckets in one after noon. Was just curious if any one knows if they came in to Saanich Inlet this year?

Back