Helping Boaters

• Thread starter Thread starter bhemi
  • Start date Start date
B

bhemi

Last fall I helped a guy in a small sailboat who lost his engine in Porlier Pass trying to go against the tide. He maydayed and I was the closest guy as I was fishing the other side. I lost gear because as I slowed down talking to the coast guiard I picked up two dogfish and cut the lines to speed up my rescue. I towed him all the way to the government dock on Galiano. I barely got a thanks except from the coast guard who were very greatful.

Today I was in Howe Sound just south of Boyer Island and I noticed a boat acting "funny" I motored over and a guy was paddling!! an old Reinell of about 20 ft. He was out of gas. He said he had called Sewell's and Suinset on his cell phone but they were too busy to deliver gas. He was paddling right into the path of the Gibson's ferry and didn't seem too concerned. I towed him back to Sunset and I get a wave. Not can I give you some gas money or buy you a beer. I wouldn't have accepted anything but it would have been nice to get an offer.

I feel like unless a guy is dieing is just leaving these losers to their own ungrateful fate but I believe in karma I guess. What do you guys think?

I've helped out two boaters over the last few years, one essentially ruining a day's fishing off Quatsino. Maybe not as big a deal for me as the person visiting from Ontario that lost 1 of 2 day's fishing. What could I do, all the Guide boat's had deaf ears?

I in turn have been helped out twice. Once by a Commercial fishing vessel that not only gave me a tow, but fed me dinner up near Prince Rupert. Another time, I needed a short tow to shore after the downrigger cable fowled the prop and it was too dangerous to lean over the side.

What goes around comes around. Do what's right considering your own safety first.

Several years ago a buddy and I were fishing in his boat at Kirby Pt. This 14 ft aluminum comes bombing by, but swerving all over the place. A short time later I see the operator of this boat waving a paddle. I tell my buddy, look , that person needs help. We were the closest boat so went over to investigate. What we found is funny today, but could have very well resulted in another statistic.

Here is this First Nations lady, apparently under the influence of a large amount of alcohol, with her outboard motor sitting on the floor of her boat and half of the transom gone. The fishing was very good and it was around 8:30 PM, but we had to help.

We towed her where she wanted to go, which was where she had just come from. She wanted to go to where the Lucky 5 was moored, in back of Diana Island. As we towed her she kept telling my buddy how cute he was and tried to bum smokes and beer constantly standing up in her boat.

We got her over to her spot, pushed her to shore and blasted out of there. The fish gods rewarded us with many more fish and a good story to tell. Later that season my buddy thinks he sees the girl in the Bamfield Pub and starts talking to her. Wrong girl, but she liked him too.

I agree with Wolf, what goes around comes around. Do your bit despite how little some seem to appreciate it.

And sometimes people just can't ask for help (or directions).
Natural selction, for humans, can be superceded by intervention.
I think it's up to the more experienced to point out the dangers rather than watch when it's too late to help.
That's why I carry a case of Lucky on board.:D

Back