Heater for my boat

While researching boat heaters recently, I ran across the very reasonably priced Planar diesel heater (built in Russia) but I was not able to learn if they are CSA approved. I decided to back away from the Planar because I was concerned about an insurance company's reaction if there was ever a fire on board with a non-approved heater.
Does anyone know if they are CSA approved?

While researching boat heaters recently, I ran across the very reasonably priced Planar diesel heater (built in Russia) but I was not able to learn if they are CSA approved. I decided to back away from the Planar because I was concerned about an insurance company's reaction if there was ever a fire on board with a non-approved heater.
Does anyone know if they are CSA approved?
Yes they are approved I looked into them last year

Once my Buddy heater warms up all the windows and interior the humidity isn't an issue anymore, I crank it on high for the first 20mins wipe the windows once or twice then usually good to go on any setting with no fog. With or without the drop curtain...

Hmm. Run your kicker and main OB coolant through a heat exchanger?

great idea but......
they do make kits for this, but from what i understand the ob's water pump and thermostat get screwed up.. not a good solution.

I've thought about this for years. The outboard manufacturers should have quick connect water lines to a heat exchanger installed in the boat. Have the cooling system designed to work properly with this set up. They could take the water from the exhaust side of the engine which is where most of the hottest water would be. The first company to do this will have a big one up on the rest.

X2 with "trophy wife" "don't use open flame propane in enclosed space".
Open flame propane produces Carbon Monoxide, the "silent killer".

I heat with a Dickenson heater also & am very happy with it.
The code requirement for my install included:
* propane tank isolated from cabin (mine is aluminum & is attached on my extended transom)
* no connections in the line except at the heater
* in-line thermal breaker
* pressure gauge at the tank (first check before entering the boat. ie. tank valve open, gauge will show pressure holding)
* propane sniffer below the heater with dash board switch, warning light & alarm.
As "trophy wife" explained, combustion in the Dickenson heater is sealed from the cabin, so exhaust exits the burner via a chimney.
It also draws its air via the chimney.

** I've been running the Dickenson for 8 years now & we use it a lot. Haven't had any issues to date.

I've thought about this for years. The outboard manufacturers should have quick connect water lines to a heat exchanger installed in the boat. Have the cooling system designed to work properly with this set up. They could take the water from the exhaust side of the engine which is where most of the hottest water would be. The first company to do this will have a big one up on the rest.
It would be nice, but the boating and fishing industry lives and dies by sales in the SE portion of the US. If it's not selling down there, it disappears off the market. Or doesn't make it to market at all.

I just purchased a Mr. Heater Little Buddy mini heater for my boat, it is powered by small disposable propane bottles, and shuts off if it falls over. I have an Campion 188 with a normal rag top, no back door or drops, so heat will escape.
has anyone tried these, or any other suggestions for heat? I know alot of the heat will disappear out the back but thought I would give it a try. keep the driver and front a bit warmer? Thoughts?

alot of options skipping out. i guess it comes down to how often you will be fishing in cold weather. i only go out once in awhile and i do not overnight on it so no need to worry about co2. a big buddy works to take the bite out. still dress warm but no need to dress heavy. it your going all the time then maybe a safer solution like mentioned above would be better. just a note you can get a buddy heater with a fan built in that runs off couple AA batteries. Maybe that will push more heat.

horrible thing happened to a young guy that worked with me.....CO2 scares me.

his dad and uncle went out in a small pilothouse boat, trolling , i suspect door ajar, the co2 rolled back in a killed both of them, boat was found running bumped ashore.

respect CO2s

A small propane furnace is what's needed. For construction heating we use 80,000 BTU furnaces from Patron. All combustion takes place outside, 120V power runs a fan that blows hot air into the building through a 12" flex duct. All the CO2 and moisture stay outside the building, it's damp enough in there already with wet drywall mud spread everywhere.

Back