Heater for my boat

What do you mean by very wet heat? Thinking to get one for my trophy cabin when trollin.
Propane creates moisture when burned. It can cause windows to fog up if used for long durations. It is not recommended as permanent source of heat in boats and rvs for this reason. Especially in our climate.

I leave the cabin door open and have never had the windows fog up

Go to Cambodian tire and go to the Bbq section you can get the connector for the large tank that reduces down to the little buddy heater for a fraction of the name brand Coleman attachment a few aisles over in the camping section. And yes it's a wet heat. It will fog up your cabin windows pretty good. Keep a supply of paper towels of you don't have a fan. We were out prawning yesterday and thankfully we had that heater. Sucks handling wet frozen rope and beheading prawns in this weather. ( first world problems)

What about wiring in a good quality inverter then adding a small space heater with same safety features (turns off when tipped, etc)? This way there is no water or carbon dioxide plus you get the benefit of having a power source in the cabin.

What about wiring in a good quality inverter then adding a small space heater with same safety features (turns off when tipped, etc)? This way there is no water or carbon dioxide plus you get the benefit of having a power source in the cabin.

A small 1500 watt 120 volt heater would draw about 170 amps at 12 volts through an inverter. Your battery might last a couple minutes before the inverter shuts down on low volts.

I use a DC car heater, it puts out very minimal heat but its enough to warm the cabin when the doors closed. Its also a big drain on the battery so I try not to run it for too long, and only when the main or kicker is running. If I had to start over again Id probably go propane.

I use the buddy quite a lot even in the summer especially early mornings just to keep everyone comfy until the sun comes up. People from Texas and Arizona get cold easily. I can be in a t-shirt and they are bundled up and still not warm.

What do you mean by very wet heat? Thinking to get one for my trophy cabin when trollin.

propane is water based.. when it is used as an open heat source it creates very high humidty. do not use it in an enclosed space!!
my heater is propane but uses an air to air exchange. combustable air into a sealed unit, combusted exhaust out!!
just the ambient air is heated this way.. no different really than a diesel heater.

propane is water based.. when it is used as an open heat source it creates very high humidty. do not use it in an enclosed space!!
my heater is propane but uses an air to air exchange. combustable air into a sealed unit, combusted exhaust out!!
just the ambient air is heated this way.. no different really than a diesel heater.
What brand is your heater?

What brand is your heater?

model is newport, dickenson brand...

lotsa rules bout having propane on a boat.....

i may change to a planar diesel.. new stuff out, fraction of the cost of a wallace or dickenson.

Looks like 890 usd for a planar from what I could see. What is special about them? Isn't the Dickinson the same price ?

I use a tank top heater on a 10lb tank, works great.

images

I have a Webasto. They are expensive, but have an awesome dry heat , and use very little fuel (my 5 gallon diesel tank usually only needs to be filled up once a year, used 3-4 times a month in winter). Power consumption is extremely minimal too, can run all night without draining the battery.

The planar are much more reasonably priced, and I have heard good things from people who have installed one.

I have used propane heaters and find the exhaust and humidity most unpleasant...I'd rather bundle up, and do without personally.

Re: Webasto, we had them in the spray cabs of our deicer trucks and other equipment. On 24 hours a day for the winter. We found running them on kerosene reduced maintainance, well pretty much completely. Burner chambers and screens would plug up on diesel and no worries on kerosene.

Re: Webasto, we had them in the spray cabs of our deicer trucks and other equipment. On 24 hours a day for the winter. We found running them on kerosene reduced maintainance, well pretty much completely. Burner chambers and screens would plug up on diesel and no worries on kerosene.

great tip!!

I have used propane heaters and find the exhaust and humidity most unpleasant...I'd rather bundle up, and do without personally.

I have never noticed any exhaust smell or humidity, maybe because the canopy is not fully enclosed.
sure is nice to have the heat though

Back