hardy silex

islander

i think i might have worn out the bushings in my hardy silex trying to break it in when i clean the oil off it has side to side play now is this normal for a silex when i put oil on it its quiet and smooth and has no side play just doesent spin that long are they supposed to spin that long ? i shouldnt have messed with it i didnt think it could were that fast i was wondering if anybody uses these type off reels and if the bushings can be replaced when worn out ?

the side play is taken up by a fastener that is set and then filed off at the center of the spool (the brass dot in the center of the spool). As for spinning try using some super lube oil. The side play screw is a one time use thing you will have to find some one to install a new one.

All the best,

Richard

I found i had side play on my JW Young. I tightened the screws on the reel seat as they come loose. Don't know if its the same with Hardy. My JW also has bushings and i lube it twice a year. A bushing should last longer than a bearing, but thats just been my experience...

What did you do to "break it in"? Bushings need oil to operate properly. A bushing reel is for smoothness while a bearing reel is for ease of start up and time it will spin for.

i used tooth paste not a good idea i was told as it gets inbedded in the bushing and grinds away i sent it away to have it fixed thanks for the replys

If you have your mind set on breaking in a bushing the best way is to sit on the couch and playing with the reel/spinning it while watching the news or something. A bushing reel is like a fine wine and gets better in time. Where did it get sent to be fixed?

John is very good at what he does and he will chat on the phone if you have any questions or concerns.

Back