Handheld VHF Recommendation

Highliner

Does anyone have any recommendations on a modestly priced handheld vhf? Thanks in advance.

Highliner

Check with Seawolf, a member of this forum. He has a really nice little unit that worked great when he called Tofino Coast Guard last summer from Barkley Sound while we were Halibut fishing. SS

I picked up an Icom M34 at the boat show for $139. It floats, is submersible, will take AA batteies w/ an adapter, tho' transmit power goes way down. I havent put it to the test yet, but it will pick up most traffic from where I live in New West. My wife could even hear me while fishing in English Bay! (not that I would ever condone use of a VHF on land ;))

I use a Huminbird...I ordered from Cabelas...Works great for me!! I also use a standard mounted VHF in the boat, and the heldheld as a backup, but I seem to use the handheld much more...

i purchased an Uniden ATLANTIS 250 handheld, i feel that it doesnt work to well,i can get the weather channel an thats it,
a friend an i went to constance about 2 weeks ago, i could see him but couldnt get a signal to talk to each other.
is that normal?

Highliner, last year right about this time West Marine had their annual electronics clearout. I picked up a really nice Standard Horizon handheld for like $100. Certainly worth checking out. I'd go with SH or Icom first as they are major players in Aviation and Marine radios.

Back