Vhf headset w mic

nateamall

Wondering if anyone has ever tried to hook up a headset with mic to vhf radio. Like what they use in aviation, except VHF.

If so, what do I need to buy to make it work.

Using for hearing/transmitting while on plane. And also blocking engine noise (gotta protect what little hearing I've got left!)

Y’all must not have the soap operas going on over your vhf that we get down here. I have zero desire in ensuring I hear every word…. I also want to listen to my motors while running. Hearing a tone change could mean saving one before something bad happens.

Thanks but wondering if anyone has helpful info? I hear my motors 8hrs a day and I agree. But looking for someone who may have done this and have some good tips.

Thanks but wondering if anyone has helpful info? I hear my motors 8hrs a day and I agree. But looking for someone who may have done this and have some good tips.
Yes, we used a headset and boom mike attached to a handheld vhf when in loud environments like log barging or on a boom boat. I'll see if I can lookup the brand. It plugs into the remote mike plug. However this day and age the radios have a bluetooth setting and you could use a Peltor or similar Bluetooth headset, works in a helmet too.

Yes, we used a headset and boom mike attached to a handheld vhf when in loud environments like log barging or on a boom boat. I'll see if I can lookup the brand. It plugs into the remote mike plug. However this day and age the radios have a bluetooth setting and you could use a Peltor or similar Bluetooth headset, works in a helmet too.
Thanks, would love to know what the brand was that you were using. I haven't been able to find anything yet. I can probably solder something, just have figured out what combo I need yet to make it easy to solder.

Haven’t tried this myself yet, but I’m thinking about it.

I have a pair of Walker noise canceling headphones with microphone and speaker. I use these at the shooting range. I can hear conversations quite clearly and loud noises are cancelled out. Thinking about wearing them when I’m running the boat so I can monitor channel 16 and conversations. I would then remove headphones for normal fishing.

You do see billfish tournament fishing crews on TV wearing headsets with mikes to block out noise and so crew can hear commands clearly.

Interested to “hear” how this works out.

Back