Halibut Reports 2009 South Island

quote:Originally posted by Sangstercraft

Hey Juan, not sure if you're joking or what your scene is, but if you want to come out in my boat for a try, send me an email.

Thanks Sangster...I was just joking around at what a gong show my fishing trips end up as at least half the time...although always a good time had by all!

I think I finally have a boat in good working order, and getting those systems down.

But appreciate the offer and may take you up on it some time, whether on my boat or yours...fun to go fishing with different people now and then. Sadly, I'm chained to this computer for the foreseeable future...so, keep those reports coming for the desk jockeys that are wishin' for fishin'

[8)]Nice fish tailspin now thats a battle. I was out last weekend had 12 on boat 4, 66 to 35 , We were just drifting around for 3 hours 210 to 300 feet . homemade jigs . Had one on ran 400 feet ,got it up 20 feet and then ran again stop then gone .glade to see it let go . Nice to see tailspin win the fight without getting hurt. good luck out there boomer.

Thanks Guys, I am glad you enjoyed the picture of complete chaos in full swing. The spot i was in requires a tight lease on the anchor, unfortunatly it also means your gear is clos to the anchor with no scope on the line. Work and wind is sure getting in the way of all the good tides so far this Spring, have to work with the short windows i can right now. Good to see lots of guys nailig flatties[:p]

www.tailspincharters.com

Hey Boomer....
Good job. I can't begin to tell you how many hours I've drifted around trying to catch a halibut.Trip after trip from Sheringham to Albert Head I even tried anchoring last week and everything was perfect except we never caught a thing. Big herring on a spreader bar and it was rolling perfect in the current but..... Nada!!! Then when we thought we would switch spots. Well to make a long story short.... We couldn't get the anchor off the bottom no matter what we did. We pulled on it by hand.... that didn't work. We tried to pull it off by going in the opposite dirction and the anchor in tow.... that didn't work. We tried pulling it out by going in reverse and.... you guessed it.... that didn't work either. So we tied on an old boat bumper and left it there. The thing is though.... when we let go of the rope with the littler bumper on it... the stupid thing disappeared....lol. I think I'm going to stick with trolling for Salmon....lol.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

Sea Ranger... Also sounds like you did not have a proper anchor system. Did you have a scotchman and anchor puller? If not very dangerous for you and now very dangerous for others with a anchor out there with a boat bumper floating the rope. Some one else could now drive over this and find them selves anchored by the prop and sink their boat. Not so funny. [:0][B)][xx(]
You need to get out there on the next low slack tide and get that thing out of the water.

I hope I am reading your post wrong.

Tips

quote:Originally posted by Tips Up

Sea Ranger... Also sounds like you did not have a proper anchor system. Did you have a scotchman and anchor puller? If not very dangerous for you and now very dangerous for others with a anchor out there with a boat bumper floating the rope. Some one else could now drive over this and find them selves anchored by the prop and sink their boat. Not so funny. [:0][B)][xx(]
You need to get out there on the next low slack tide and get that thing out of the water.

I hope I am reading your post wrong.

Tips

Ouch,, you are right on this one Tips Up not a good scene at all.

IMG_1021-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by C.S.

SeaRanger,did'nt you have a break away on your anchor?
Check out how tailspins anchor is rigged on the neck in the picture.
If you dont run it this way your going to lose lots of hooks!
Learning the expensive way:)

I've heard of this anchor rigging system, using a zapstrap, but can't quite make out what's going on in that picture. Does anyone have a better pic of the proper rigging?

figure10-2.png

Drill a hole in the flat tab at the bottom of the anchor. Then attach the chain to this end. Zip tie the chain to the traditional hole. If your anchor is stuck when you pull with your boat then the zip tie should break and your anchor will be pull from the bottom lifting it off the bottom (hopefully [B)]).

Highliner

www.salmonboats.ca

Good picture Highliner.
The only way to rig an anchor as far as I am concerned.
And kudos to all who discussed and emphasized proper anchoring in this and the other threads.
Could be a good topic to have "pinned".
Don't want to have anybody pulling a stunt like the three football players who died off Florida last month while trying to free their anchor.

The majority of dansforth type anchors do not do well set up that way, the chain does not allow the flukes to pivot over if it lands chain side down it just drags around. Been there done that! The illustration gives you the idea though. Go with a 16.5# Lewmar Claw, cheap and never misses a set in rock, mud, gravel or sand.

www.tailspincharters.com

Great posts, but how well does this system hold up when anchoring in rough water, or over night? Is it possible that the strap could break during the night, and the anchor being pulled loose and waking up miles away? Tight Lines,......BB

quote:Originally posted by Barnacle Bill

Great posts, but how well does this system hold up when anchoring in rough water, or over night? Is it possible that the strap could break during the night, and the anchor being pulled loose and waking up miles away? Tight Lines,......BB

I've had them hold in breakers out off Swiftsure, but I wouldn't trust them overnight, they are not an overnight setup,they are strictly halibut.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Some cable ties break faster than others as well. I double them up depending on where i am anchored, sometimes they break when the current starts to rip. Remember to wire you clevis bolts up on your anchor chain so the vibration does not work them loose resulting in the pin falling and a lost anchor;).

www.tailspincharters.com

The last thing I was trying to do was to create a hazard for anyone out on the water. You don't get a second chance on the water which is why I always believe in safety first. My options were very limited and after thinking about what to do I decided that an anchor stuck on the bottom was better left with a bouy attached to it so it was more visible then a free floating rope. We did have a scotchman out with an anchor puller but if you can't get the anchor to release then these things don't help. In hind sight maybe leaving the large scotchman attached would have been a better idea but I didn't want to loose that too. I want to go out asap to see if I can get it back but have already tried to retrieve it without success. Does anyone know of any tricks to get it back or will I need a bigger boat and motor to get it off the bottom. What would you have done? leave the rope free and hope it sinks? or tie on a bouy so you can see it and try to get it back at a later date? or cut the rope as short as you can so it only a hazard at low tide? I thought I was doing the right thing and wasn't trying to cause any danger to anyone.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

Same as me highliner and maybe break about 4 a year and thats it. its one of those thing you need to find a happy spot as you want it to break under good pressure but not too easily you just need to experiment, lesson learned the hard way.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Back