Halibut , Campbell River

• Thread starter Thread starter crazy eagle
  • Start date Start date
C

crazy eagle

Halibut wasted
I was at the campbell river boat launch yesterday ,the one close to the big rock ,and I saw at low tide in about a foot of water a huge
halibut skeleton. It was at least 5 ft long ,and it must have
been more than 80 pounds .The belly strip was cut out ,but only half
of the backstrip. So it looked as if half of the fish was still there.
The backstrip looked at least 4" thick.
I have never in my live seen anything so wasteful and disgusting.

2 years ago I was cleaning fish at the dock in Port Renfrew. A guy comes to the cleaning station with a few springs in a box (not a cooler but a plastic tote) no ice. Now this is 2 in the afternoon. These fish had been sitting in the sun all day. Anyway he starts to clean them and I think he used a wet kleenex to sharpen his knife because it was dull. The meat on the fish was all soft and gaping and I dont think he got within a inch of the back bone. At least 1/3rd of the meat was still attached to the fish as he sends it over the end and proceeds to butcher the next one. It turned my stomach. Then he says "boy the fishing is great, this is the 3rd time this week we limited out". I never answered him. Just finished up and went back to my boat. A definite lack of respect for the fish.

Well perhaps we should also factor in the post mortum get away.
I have personally seen a fisherman loose a nice hali off the gutting trough while manuvering fish for next cut. A group of fisherman accidently dump a wheelbarrow full of halis and springs while rolling from boat to gutting trough. And my favorite was a large 50+ chinook that a small group was putting on scale through the gills. The gills ripped and the fish hit the dock breifly before slipping into a watery grave. In all this the guy with the camera was trying to focus on the scales saying "I can't see the fish."

crazy eagle I seen the same thing I could not believe it. When I was there it was 4 feet of water, I can tell you if it slipped in while I was cleaning it, I would have been in the water getting it back. What a waste

Yeah I saw it too. The remains at Big Rock usually give a pretty good fishing report. Lot's of Halies lately. Yesterday's was a biggie. Looks like it was filleted to avoid the stomach cavity. Cheeks were removed and I have no idea about the bottom side. Must have been 100 lbs at least. No cleaning table there. Just a decision on someone's part not to harvest all the meat. Too bad.

Back