Halibut Bank Georgia Strait

baddogg

Crew Member
I live in Nanaimo and seldom fish the strait anymore. Yesterday however it was so nice I had to put the boat in the water. A buddy and I had always talked about going to the Halibut Bank. It was so flat that we headed that way. Like most other places in the strait now, we caught nothing, but had a great evening anyway.

I was wondering if anyone else has ever fished there, and what were the results.

Where there many seals out there? What did you fish with?

I've always been curious about heading out there, but I only have a cartopper.

We didn't see any seals. If you are going from the vancouver side, it isn't that far from land. We tried hootchies and spoons. No bites though. There is a large yellow buoy marking the area.

I've been thinking about dropping a prawn trap out there too. I'll have to look at my charts though and see how deep it is first! I've heard that people head out there for Sockeye (when there are some around)....

I'm heading up this weekend and might try it (if it's calm)..... otherwise I'll be fishing Chaster, Camp Byng and possibly Gower.

Is that yellow buoy the weather station?

I just looked at it on weather office and it says the temperature of the water is 20C?!?!? That's insane (even if it is on the surface). Being out there in the middle and getting that warm...

I believe it is a weather buoy. The water is only about 100 feet around the marker. You are right though, that is warm.

Halibut Bank

I live in Nanaimo and seldom fish the strait anymore. Yesterday however it was so nice I had to put the boat in the water. A buddy and I had always talked about going to the Halibut Bank. It was so flat that we headed that way. Like most other places in the strait now, we caught nothing, but had a great evening anyway.

I was wondering if anyone else has ever fished there, and what were the results.

To my knowledge... Halibut Bank is closed to all fishing... it is in a rockfish conservation area... as is Mcall Bank... the gps coordinates are located in the fisheries website.... not sure why they don't post them in the regulations.

Back