guide licence

• Thread starter Thread starter tony
  • Start date Start date
T

tony

does anyone have any information on how to apply for a tidal water sportfishing guide licence.

Sport Fishing Institute is developing a Best Standars and Practices for Guides (saltwater) If you would like information or would like to give input, comments etc send me off an e-mail and I will send along some info....

Goes as follows:

1) Take MED A 3 Course - Translates into "Don't pop your raft with a flare"

2) Take SVOP Course - Power Squadrons Again

3) Radio License with DSC - May have to warm up the brain cells

4) Get your boat inspected - (Make sure it floats and has life jackets, and C number)

5) Make sure your knuckles don't drag on the ground

Then as far as the government is concearnd you are a guide. Getting peope to pay you big bux to go fishing year after year is the part you have to work hard at. DOn't just concentrate on meat in the box, they have to like you, and have a good time.

Last Chance...best post you've ever done!
I think that you are bang on the money as to what standards are exceptable.
They rules may not all be written in stone yet but the fact the we are starting to have such standards in the business is great as a whole.
As far as enforcement...don't count on it but we as a collective group can do alot to monitor the fleet on our own...
I may not agree with all the above standards but the fact that we have some operators out there with little or no insurance or proper safety equipment is still unbelievable.
And No...regular pleasure craft insurance is not acceptable!
You must have commercial operators insurance and that is costly.
I could go on more but I'll leave it at that.

quote:Originally posted by Osama Bin Hopper

LC who can I contact about the radio operators course?

Is there not a first aid requirment also???

In Victoria I got ahold of Lesley Head from Heads Up Navigation for SVOP and my DSC endorsment for my existing ROC. Otherwise, up Island your best bet is probably Power Squadrons, they actually administer the whole thing for Industry Canada.

As for the old guy who sat through our SVOP course from Transport Canada (he does larger inspections, ferries, etc), showed us the TC document that dropped the requirement for mairne first aid. So now, although we are required to carry a recucitation mask, we are not required to have any clue on how to use it (Except as a creative addition to a water-bong).

quote:Originally posted by richmake

Quicknav on Grandville Island was great...easy to sign up and quite informative.

Funny you say that...Leo (part owner of it) was the booth beside us in Calgary advertising that and his other business.......a quarter share yacht ownership on Granville Isl. and Vic. A great guy...super nice! Whenever it got slow just chat to him, good way to pass the time on the Thursday lol

Good to know about the marine first aid...are you sure about it though? (and SVOP isn't necessary till Nov. 2009....but we've gone over that in other threads).

This is interesting because I've heard guys referring to illegal Canadian guides on here - discussing saltwater. I wasn't sure what they were talking about (I thought maybe times had changed) Maybe they were referring to the boat designation, maybe confusion.

I'm certainly not opposed to increased safety and marine training, but I'm not sure where additional licensing / training requirements would take the industry given that it relies so heavily on students and other seasonal employees. Just some thoughts.

quote:Originally posted by Nimo

This is interesting because I've heard guys referring to illegal Canadian guides on here - discussing saltwater. I wasn't sure what they were talking about (I thought maybe times had changed) Maybe they were referring to the boat designation, maybe confusion.

I'm certainly not opposed to increased safety and marine training, but I'm not sure where additional licensing / training requirements would take the industry given that it relies so heavily on students and other seasonal employees. Just some thoughts.

There is less involved in getting a drivers license then the mentioneed requirements to run a guide service

quote:Originally posted by Nimo

An official license is not required for a Canadian citizen to guide in the saltwater in BC. What people are referring to when they are discussing illegal guiding, is aliens working as guides in BC. They are usually referring to Americans bringing their boats into Canadian waters and guiding for profit here. That is contrary to immigration laws in most countries, and is considered working illegally in Canada. These illegal guides likely do not hold the required Canadian certifications, or liability insurance for business purposes in Canada.

FYI

TBG:
The discussions as I recall were commenting on both Canadian and US illegal operators. No matter, the US illegal guiding is definitely an issue.

There was a guy up in Tahsis many years ago blatantly guiding every day, the locals knew it, the suppliers knew it, DFO knew it and so did the RCMP. It took them months to shut him down (may have even been a season or two.) That was back when we still had reasonable size federal enforcement.

Things are changing...there are now open lines of communication with several federal agencies....just ask anyone who fished Nootka last year...there will be a even larger presence there this year from several more angles as well in other areas where individuals have stepped up and helped the process along....these agencies need help in identifying the who, what, where (vessel ID #'s, marinas, slip #'s, private docks etc )and will step in if the info is supplied to them....as a senior member put it "we need eyes and ears on the water to make it work"....if we work together results will soon follow....remember the money is coming out of ligitimate charter operators pockets....CANADIANS....

quote:Originally posted by fishingbc

Things are changing...there are now open lines of communication with several federal agencies....just ask anyone who fished Nootka last year...there will be a even larger presence there this year from several more angles as well in other areas where individuals have stepped up and helped the process along....these agencies need help in identifying the who, what, where (vessel ID #'s, marinas, slip #'s, private docks etc )and will step in if the info is supplied to them....as a senior member put it "we need eyes and ears on the water to make it work"....if we work together results will soon follow....remember the money is coming out of ligitimate charter operators pockets....CANADIANS....

That's good to hear, I haven't been up that way for 10 years now. I fish mostly out of Sooke and haven't been checked by anybody in 3 years (although I only fish 15-20 X per year, and maybe they overlook my float-tube.) I think there will be renewed organization and spirit around the entire industry in the coming years - hopefully the resource is still there at the end of all of this. And that senior member is right.

My understanding of that guy that they did shut down was that he reorganized the operation, had a Canadian take over the boat, and carried on bus as usual (admitedly over a decade ago.)

What's the fine today for illegaly working in Canada if they can be caught? $1,000? Deportation?

Lastchance how much was the SVOP course? Good post on the guide requirements and in particular the importance of customer service. Only addition I would comment on is most boats will need some significant modifications to comply with the TC rules under the Small Commercial Vessel Inspection Program. So prospective guides should be aware that to pass the inspection and get your boat compliant will be an expensive process. Also be prepared to pay around $1700 for your boat insurance to get quality unrestricted operating area coverage.

quote:Originally posted by searun

Lastchance how much was the SVOP course? Good post on the guide requirements and in particular the importance of customer service. Only addition I would comment on is most boats will need some significant modifications to comply with the TC rules under the Small Commercial Vessel Inspection Program. So prospective guides should be aware that to pass the inspection and get your boat compliant will be an expensive process. Also be prepared to pay around $1700 for your boat insurance to get quality unrestricted operating area coverage.

If you look around, insurance is better then that. My SVOP was $575, I took it through Heads Up Navigation. I've seen it cheaper elsewhere, but in Victoria, that's what we have. She did a great job, it's a mandatory 32 hour course. No challange available. So if you have taken Power Squadrons, just show up with 32 hours worth of books to read, or other paperwork to do, because the course is an exact duplicate of Power Squadrons, with a little vessel stability thrown in.

Tx, I have mine insured for $60K and 3 million liability and no restrictions on where you can operate. Are you getting better rates than that, and if so where are you going. I've been with Coast Country in Campbell River for the last 10 years.

Back