GPS

• Thread starter Thread starter BOJANGLE
  • Start date Start date
B

BOJANGLE

I figure if I'm going in the hali derby, I might need a GPS. Thinking of going the handheld way...any thoughts on what works.. the Tom Tom's seem to get high ratings.

I would go with a mounted marine gps/chartplotter, i have a garmin 2006 and love it, i would prefer a color screen though!

To fish or not to fish,
What a stupid question!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish, and he will sit on a boat drinking beer for a life time :D
TGIF =Thank God It Floats

i have a garmin hand held, which are fairly reasonable.
they are a great tool, however if i had the $$$ i would
go with a fixed mount chart plotter/gps.
they seem to run between abot $1600 to $2400 for anything
decent.

scotty

I looked at the Garmin mounted ones and ..yes.. beautiful......but right now I think the $$ situation dictates a handheld...the Garmin 12XL seems to be pretty highly rated and is priced in my range.

I have the Garmin hand held and it is dependable and easy to use, just remember to carry a spare set of batteries with you.

AL

there was that boaters store in nanaiomo that had a lowrance handheld for cheap (200$ maybe??) i would find a few marine websites (westmarine, maybe walmart/canadian tire) and just regularly visit the site until a sale comes on unless u need 1 asap

To fish or not to fish,
What a stupid question!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish, and he will sit on a boat drinking beer for a life time :D
TGIF =Thank God It Floats

I have a Globalmap 100 Lowrance. Great handheld, very accurate and plugs to my laptop. Nice thing is I can take it hunting or hiking as well. It came with a power cable and disk for the computer to allow me to add waypoints and maps with out going to a location and easier than trying to add names using the keypad on the unit.

How much was the Lowrance ?? $$...that sounds like some nice features.

lowrance 3500c mounted colour map is nice 4 the price about 700 to 800 depends on if you shop around .

tight lines

Garmin has a neat little hand held plotter for $500

Some like it rough...
Others just puke!.

Mr. Dean

Best time to buy one of these is at the boat show in feb save up your money and get a unit like the mc-15 it has a plotter.gps and fishfinder all in one and is fantastic its the one I use and most guide boats heres use. or any other one out there the joy of the plotter gps is in the fog it shows where you are and where land is with the chip in very handy makes my life a lot easier.

good luck wolf

I have the Raymarine C series tied into GPS,fishfinder/depthsounder, radar. I put it on a removable swivel mount so I could lock it up. Love the clarity. I still use paper charts but the GPS in bad light or fog is nice. I wouldn't boat without one now.

Currently use Furuno, but have had two Standard Horizon Color GPS Chart Plotters. They use C-Map-NT and are terriffic. First one cost about $400.00 the newere model is a little more, but still not much higher than hand held.

Check them out on the Internet. Just Google them up.

Skip

Had a monochrome handheld for the boat... used it 3 times then sold it. Was too hard to see. I then got a Garmin fixed mount color unit. Easy to see and larger.

I have the LCX 15 MT as well, its made by Lowrance. I think they may be discontinued? Now its the lcx 17mt. you can still get them both from 1200-1500$ plus 290$ for the navionics chip for the whole island. They now have colour models that are sweet!Way easier to see rocks contours and reefs on the colour charts and for the same price. My buddy bought the lms 337 ls, for under a thousand with the nav chip. It works well and is slightly smaller than the lcx 15 at 5" display. Go to Rotec communications thet have last years stuff cheaper at times in stock. Or call trotac and they can order whatever you want.

I've got the lcx 15c.Sweet!Its so clear.Even in sunlight.Lots of power.Great for identifying fish and structure.

a total MILF.Man I Love Fishing

Pescadero which Standard Horizon do you have? Been looking at the 155 and 175 plotters. You said you had 2, did you have problems with one.

Tournament Proven !

Another option I can recommend is run Nobeltec on your boat. http://www.nobeltec.com/ Run Nobeltec charting/mapping software from a computer or laptop computer to a lcd screen of any size to fit on your boat dash board if you have enough room depends on your boat. All you need is a simple gps nothing fancy, (pop on e-bay and pick one up for real cheep) and connect it to your computer to send the gps signal to Nobeltec charting program to run the chart displayed on your lcd screen.. Now you have an ultimate charting system with very detailed maps, plotting, route tracking and a ton of high end features that Nobeltec program has, tide and current tables ect ect. !!! I find most gps's that accept the chart chips.. have poorer charts, less detail and small screens! .. and some cost big bucks to boot! I'd rather put that money towards a nice 15 inch lcd screen running Nobeltec.! If your going to spend some money this could be an option for you.. You can pick up a thin lcd monitor for relatively cheep now days... Use an old computer or pop on e-bay and pick your self up an inexpensive laptop..., find a friend that has a copy of an earlier version of Nobeltec... You can have an ultimate charting system on your boat rather than spending allot of money on these all in one map chip Gps's with small screens and poorer charts with limited features and detail compared to an advanced Nobeltec system for the same price or even cheeper.. . This could be an option for you.. Hope this helps...

I have a Lowrance 337C DF Colour plotter/sounder. Great unit for the money. I would say that having a chart(s) is definitely a necessity. I have the chart for the whole island and it works very well.

Now that I have gone to a colour unit, I would never go back to mono, especially for a gps/plotter.

The only thing that might be nice would be a bigger screen. Kind of like always wanting a bigger boat:>

Fish Wish

Back