Gel Batteries

F

falkor

My prawn puller and other electrical things have ate another set of batteries on my Trophy.I have been told to go to cosco and by the blue marine Gel Batteries. Has anybody tried them and are they worth there expensive price. Thks Falkor

I have gone from 3 batteries to 2 after switching to the blue marine gel. Still running same equipment. Use a battery gauge, when you drain a battery below 50% you have shortened the life substantually

How long did you get out of your batteries? I usually get 3-4 years atleast out of mine, but i will charge them during the winter with a trickle charger, and always have the engine running when i use my prawn puller.
I have heard great thing about the optima gel cell batteries but you have to make sure you get a starting battery for your engine. If you use a deepcycle battery for engine starting you will shorten the battery life.Deep cycle batteries are ment for low amp-longer draws.
i think thats how it works

The Optima D34M is a deep cycle with a 750 CCA, it is one of the few that can be used both ways. Don't mix a starting and deep cycle (done that with poor results) they charge at different rates, and usually don't fully charge.

What contributes to a batteries demise is vibration and mechanical shock, the opti batteries handles shock much better then regular batteries. Worth twice the price? thats depends i guess but if you get any batteries from Costco, make sure you check the manufactures date. Any battery sitting for 6 months or more on the shelf has a reduced life span and costco batteries can be slow to move off the shelf. Batteries need to be worked and don't like to sit for long periods. There will be codes stamped onto the battery case for manufactures date. First letter is month, A Jan, B Feb, etc. next one is year 5, 6 for 2005 or 2006 etc. D6 is April/06. I've seen the stamped dates on the battery case not always match the resellers sticker dates.

just my $.02 [8D]

Thanks Guys for the replys.
In the past I get about three years to a set of deep cycle marine batteries that I usaully buy at Lordco. hstat what is this battery gauge that you talk about and where can i get one. When I have used the puller and other elctrical stuff there is always an engine running I do this with the batteries in mind. But every three years the cost of owning a boat goes up with the price of batteris.

I was researching batteries and was also wondering about Gel batteries. Seems the AGM batteries may be even better than the Gels although more money?

the battery tester is just a cheap ($12) needle guage with a hot and ground lead that measures charge level from dead to fully charged. It may not totally accurate, but it is at least close.

I have heard now from a couple of diffrent sources, you need to change your voltage regulator if you use gel batteries. Is there any truth to this.

Hey guys
Has anyone found that there is limmited room to rum two batteries on 20ft trophy?
would like to see some pictures of other boat set ups
Thanks Mike

just a dumb question , but really whats the best way 2 store your batteries over winter while boats stored . take batteries out ??? trickle charge all winter ??? what ya think ??? i usually leave them in and do nothing as both batteries were new last year , but i don`t think thats a good thing . scottyboy

also i have a deep cycle and starting battery on a switch , but i always forget 2 switch the battery after i run out 2 where i wanna fish . i`m just wrecking the batteries i guess eh!or should i put switch on both batteries and charge and use both ??? tight lines scottyboy

Here is a web site that has some good information on the different type of batteries and the pros and cons. Scotty I believe the best thing to do is have the batteries on a trickle charge that will shut off when the battery is fully charged. The battery discharge between 8% to 40% for a flood battery(much less for AMG and Gel) a month depending on differnt factors.

ons.http://www.vonwentzel.net/Battery/01.Type/index.html

Back