GAS GRADE'S

scott craven

What grade do you run in your 4-stroke outboard ?
i was using mid-grade, but was told it's a waste of $$$$
regular works just as good.

I think all marked gas is mid grade and mooring ones boat thats what you use. but I do know with one of my old trucks that if you ran normal reg in it she would knock and ping once I put mid or better in it went away. Dont think it matters much but really havent tried it on the boat I know with some of the newer engines they say to use the good stuff???

Now im using a big outboard my min battery had to be 1000 cca because of the electronics in the engine ill ask my mechanic buddy and see what his professional opinion on the gases are

Wolf

While I run a 2 stroke rather than a 4 stroke, I use mid-grade.
I have been told, and don't take this as gospel, that the mid grade is less likely to leave deposits or deteriorate in the tank, which can be important if you leave it sitting for a month or more. Like to know the truth. Struck me as worth the extra few dollars a year, just in case.

I've got an mercruiser sterndrive, so not really on topic...but I use marine gas which has the same octane as midgrade, but is cheaper (usually) than regular. Don't think you can go wrong using a higher octane fuel.

A Shell station in Gibsons that sells marine gas states that it's mid-grade. Not sure why they do that, but it's cheaper that the 87 octane stuff for cars, so I buy it. I'm running a small Johnson 2 stroke, so I don't think it matters.

Does anyone know if 2 stroke oil goes bad? I've got some from a few seasons ago. I assume it wouldn't turn to varnish like gas, but who knows.

Two stroke oil will go bad,not sure of the timeline.It will turn into a jelly like substance.

Mike

quote:F250 regular only puts out 220 hp you need midgrade to put out 250
what year is your f250? is it a 460? 351, 302, 300??? is it stock?

Not to change the topic, but what about additives you can use to clean the carbs and engine parts? Are any of these products worth using, or do today's fuels have enough additives? I do use a fuel stabelizer.

I also use a fuel stabilizer when the boat sits over Jan and Feb when I go away and follow the sun for awhile.
Also use a dewatering agent in the main tank and I always try to leave the tank full to impact condensation in a half full tank etc. never had any problems with shellac forming in the carb and plugging the jets.

AL

If you you use high grade gas it has stabilzers in it so you don't have to add any for winter storage. The higher grade if it does not cost much more seems to be more bang. I think the key on how a engine operated depends on the compression of the pistons higher the higher the oct. requirement at least that was what I remeber from the days when we could get real high octane.

Yep
you know gas prices vary all over the world.
for instance regular unleaded in New Zealand is about 1.45 a litre their supreme is about 1.5 a litre. The interesting thing is reg unleaded is 94 octane and supreme is 96 octane

What is someone for New Zealend doing on this site? I am trying to get my wife to take a trip down there but she thinks all I want to do is fish on the holiday. I have heard the river fishing is great. We have a freind that has a cabin down there in the rainy part of the country. The name escapes me. Man you pay a lot for gas.

We have lower grade gas in North America. I never forget when we went to Italy 20 years ago. Gas was twice as expensive as it was in Canada at that time. We rented this car, nothing fancy it was an "Opel" station wagon. Holly **** did it fly!!.. on the auto bond it would do 240km/hr. The vehicles and gas grades in Europe and other parts of the world is very high quality/octane! But you pay the very high price for it..

Rock That is true the high part of the fuel is the tax. We lived in Italy when I was a kid in the 60s and the price on the open market was 1.13 and since were with the US goverment we did not have to pay the tax and the our price was .13.

Back