Advice needed for a new Battery Switch

N2013

I need a new battery switch. Currently running a single battery and using a Perko switch. So just need a 2 position switch but reading conflicting info regarding specific switches for specific engines (gas/diesel,in/outboard). What Perko or Blue Seas switch is suitable and do most folks run? Main is a 115yam. Don't want to add a 2nd battery.

You can also use the dual battery switch and just not wire in the second battery. I had a dual battery setup, but went down to a single. Removing the additional connection from the switch took less than 5min and could easily be reversed.

Both boats I've owned used Blue Sea disconnects and they are well built/substantial and engage with a satisfying clunk.

My boat has a 135 Evinrude, and is wired with the standard M-series switch (available as either or single or dual battery switch), which is good up to 300amps continuous / 900amps cranking for 30seconds. Typical outboard would require 600-700 cold cranking amps to start, but a Group 27 battery could put close to the 900amp limit. In any case, it has not been a problem.

Last edited:
Not that my situation is the same as yours since I have two batteries and an inboard but I have this one from my house battery,,,just a power on or power off. For my start battery I have the one shown above in Saxe Point's post. (the surface mount model) No issues with either one.
1712208208709.png

Back