Garmin TR1 Autopilot

Could the gladiator just be hooked to the kicker Sculpin, as I imagine it is more powerful than the gold unit . Maybe this would solve the problem of the unit being being over powered in rough conditions and turn out to be a sweet set up. I myself run the panther steering system and am pretty happy with it . I put 3 days a week on it all last summer but it did break down towards the end of the season. The dealer warrantied it right away so at this point I will still suggest this option.

I didn't realize that the Gladiator was a main engine system. The Gold is the one my charter friends purchased and are having ongoing problems with. I bought the Com-Nav as it is a tried and tested brand...most of the commercial fishing boats use it, just like Furuno for Radar and sounders.

I picked a slightly used TR1 and am just getting it hooked up. Anyone I can speak with on here that could spend a few minutes talking me thru the install. It only wants to do an intermittent one way turn on land, goes both ways and then only one way. I pulled the pump unit but don't know what to look for. Thanks if you can help
I am central Vancouver island

The bent arrows are for manual steering, the straight arrows are for auto steer. on a trailer if I use the straight arrows it should stay, if I hit the same button again it will slowly steer that way. Not sure what u are asking

PM sent................

There easy to install I have taken one out and installed one not really tough

I've heard of compass ball troubles, my pump has been replaced under warranty.
I've started to collect parts so I have less down time. Spare pump was $550 without the computer.

I've had a TR-1 Gold on a 22 foot Weldcraft with a T-8 for 5 years now and love it. One needs to spend some time adjusting it correctly so that it is not over-correcting but once it's dialed in it works great. Running against a strong head wind can over power the unit's ability to correct but lets face it, take your hand off the steering wheel on a kicker hooked to your main and the same thing will happen. Trolling into a strong wind always sucks.

I've had no problems with mine (geez I hope I didn't just jink myself). I check and re-tighten connections a couple of times a year, change the hydraulic fluid every other year, etc. I do have a tie rod to the main motor back-up so if it does act up I always have the old school back-up.

In my book its a must have when fishing alone. Battery drain is minimal particularly compared to constantly working downriggers deep. They are pricey but this hobby of ours is pricey by nature. I'm pretty confident that when I'm on my deathbed I won't be thinking "man I wish I'd saved the money that I spent on that TR-1".

Back