Garmin TR1 Autopilot

Finished Business

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=11573&ra=true

Considering this upgrade for the boat. Has anyone had any experience with this system?

Hand held control at the stern would be pretty convenient when fishing with a small crew or solo. That and we think it would give the driver a chance to be in on the action as well.

Would love to hear some input on this unit!

Thanks guys

FB

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=11573&ra=true

Considering this upgrade for the boat. Has anyone had any experience with this system?

Hand held control at the stern would be pretty convenient when fishing with a small crew or solo. That and we think it would give the driver a chance to be in on the action as well.

Would love to hear some input on this unit!

Thanks guys

FB

I have the TR1 Gladiator installed. I have not used it at all and actually disconnected it for a few years. Now that I am upgrading my electronics I am hooking it back up. I have a rear steering station and never found a use for it. My electronics guy has talked me into hooking it back up as the compass has the output to overlay radar data (I didn't have radar until recently) onto the chartplotter and showed me how to plot a course etc. over a contour and set it. I will admit I was scared of the thing before but I am getting warmed up to it so to speak.

Sorry I can't give you any hands on experience with it. I hear they are good and I will find out shortly.

IMG_1247.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
get a hold of damfish on bcfr he just put one in I think he has a youtube link on it too

Sculpin....looking forward to it!

Gidyup...who? I haven't been around here to long!

anyone else? would really like to hear some first hand input!

-FB

I know 2 charter guys who have them. They do break down as both have had problems. Also they aren't able to keep the boat on coarse in a stiff breeze...the wind overpowers the steering capabilities of the unit. The unit has lots of speed in moving the kicker from side to side...but because it only turns the kicker it has its limits. I opted for a com-nav (1420 model)pilot for my 22 Seasport. It can steer the boat straighter than I can in any seas. It is plumbed into the existing hydraulic steering and moves both the main and the kicker for maximum helm control, especially at slower trolling speeds. Most use a tie bar between the main and the kicker. I installed a liquid valve which also you to throw a lever that switches your steering system between having just the main turn when you move the helm, or kicker and main moving together. No vibrating tie bar either. My pilots pump is quite noisy and if I knew that when I was installing it I would have mounted it somewhere with more sound insulation. Mine is 20 years old and I'm sure they have addressed that by now. I only use mine when I want hands free from the wheel while I pull up and check all my gear, especially in a strong breeze and current.

Last edited by a moderator:
YEP more problem than there worth as they always seem to be breaking down, one guy I know doesnt even use it anymore to much hassle.

I prefer the hydrolic system doubt it will ever nreak down I need/want something that is consistant and works

I have 2 buddies that have the TR1 and I think they're a joke.
They are noisy as they constantly correct themselves, very annoying I find.
Have not been on 1 trip on their boats where the unit did not malfunction.
Without warning will go into a circleing mode and then not respond to the handheld.
Sounds harmless but instantly twists cables, gear and puts you in peril with nearby boats.
No fun at all!
I opted for a hydraulic steering system from Goetz Engineering in Idaho.
Small hydraulic pump, easy to install, powers a stainless steel cylinder that turns your kicker motor.
Simple, corrosion free and is controlled by a weather proof 20' lanyard with a toggle switch.
Its not programmable like the TR1 but does work reliably!
Very simple design and has worked flawlessly for 2 seasons, was recommended to me from the folks at Monaro marine that did some rigging for me on the new boat.
The unit is avail from a local wholesaler thru any of the local marine stores.
Monaro marine supplied mine and was the best priced, very nice people there.
I would recommend it based on my experience so far.
Check it out.
GA

Hey Guys,

I have owned a TR1 for about 6 months now and as far as I'm concern its the best thing since sliced toast!!! I guess it depends on what your doing I fish lots by myself and now the boat just goes straight. If your in a heavy wind it will work pretty hard to keep you on coarse and in my opinion it does a pretty good job. I was out on in about a 4-5 foot swell with a windchop and the boat was really rocking and rolling and it kept us on course. I think that if your looking at auto pilots and you have outboards you might be best to put an auto pilot on the main and hook your kicker up with the tie bar then you have auto on both units. The guys down south love TR1 and a ton of guys have them on there boats. I would buy one again and so far no problems on the TR1!!!

Thanks
JAC

Thanks for the post JAC. I have been reading about them on The Hull Truth site and some of the fishing forums down south of us. Lot's of folks seem to like them.

I've heard good things about them. But, one caution I've read is they suck a lot of power. Particularly in rough seas where corrections are constant.

I'm no pro with tuning the Tr1 but they have whats called a Sea State Filter. This can be adjusted so your motor is not flying back and forth. You will see some videos on You tube where the kickers are flying back and forth and the TR1 is not setup right. When its rough they will be moving a fair bit but when its calm they are really great and move slightly side to side. A lot of guys on the ameican website are complaing about power draw but most of them have small kickers that don't charge there batteries. My boat was new last year and I still have not added my second battery I have a yamaha T8 and it keeps my battery at 13 volts while running, 2 ELEC Riggers, TR1,GPS/FFinder and VHF. The kicker can keep up with all of those drawns but when I'm running my lights with everything else I listed, the volts will slowly come down after about an hour, but flick the lights off and the juice comes back

Trust me and wolf...they have problems...the hard over and putting you in a circle is exactly what happens when the wind and or current over powers its ability to keep the boat on course. Not real dangerous as this is happening at trolling speeds, but a pain in the butt. He often has to turn the unit off in 20kts of wind or higher and steer by hand. He uses his continuously...it works great when the wind is below its limit...and when it doesn't crap out.

...great to read there is some experience behind these units....not so great to hear of the, at times daily, headaches.

Given optimum working conditions, it sounds like it performs as expected but anything beyond that and you could be in trouble.

Pro and Gray, sounds like 2 good options to research.

My unit includes a class 1 compass (over a fluxgate unit) and the rudder follower is the relatively new "Smart Stick" from Teleflex. I would definitely go with the Smart Stick over a linear follower.

If some of you guys don't like your TR1 I may have some friends that will buy them off you.

I have had gool luck with the TR1 Gold and I have never used the TR1 Gladiator. I think that the Gladiator maybe the older version

I have had gool luck with the TR1 Gold and I have never used the TR1 Gladiator. I think that the Gladiator maybe the older version

The Gladiator is older but made for main engines. The Gold came about for those wanting something for a kicker. They sold them along side each other for quite a while. Each for their own applications. I have the Gladiator and I am still reading ton's about it on various forums etc. It came with the boat so I might as well try it out. 4 years later lol. I have a rear steering station so I have never really needed to use it.

I have a rear station to but an auto pilot comes in handy when you want to bring up all the gear to check for weeds, hits etc without having to keep going back to the helm to keep the boat going straight. I can go through all the gear and forget about my course, just have to watch for oncoming boats.

I have a rear station to but an auto pilot comes in handy when you want to bring up all the gear to check for weeds, hits etc without having to keep going back to the helm to keep the boat going straight. I can go through all the gear and forget about my course, just have to watch for oncoming boats.

Thanks profisher. This is why I want to hook mine up again. I like to fish myself once in a while (lol) with my son and friends. It might let me be a fisherman instead of being the captain all the time:).

Back