Galvanized Steel For Trailer Parts

chris73

Anyone knows where to get galv. steel profiles for rebuilding a boat trailer here in the Island, preferably near Victoria? Or at least a place that hot-dip galvanizes? Heard rumours of only on the mainland? Hard to believe. Or where do you go if structural members on your galv. trailers are rusted out? Thanks.

I think thats when you pay roadrunner a visit for a new one.lol Just kidding but although none of my structural frame was rusted I rebuilt my trailer with new galvanized ubolts from the stated new bearings brakes etc probably could have bought new by the time it was all said and done. Salt water is relentless

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone knows where to get galv. steel profiles for rebuilding a boat trailer here in the Island, preferably near Victoria? Or at least a place that hot-dip galvanizes? Heard rumours of only on the mainland? Hard to believe. Or where do you go if structural members on your galv. trailers are rusted out? Thanks.

Mainland only for galvanizing. There used to be a place in Sooke many moons ago that did some galvanizing but their tank was quite small. They have been shut down for ever. I remember going there with the old man to get some stuff done for our business when I was wee little. Takes a lot of electricity for galvanizing so I think the lack of volume shut em down.

Ebco Metal Finishing and Silver City are the two over on the mainland. Most fab shops can build your part and then send it over to one of them.

Just some thoughts on who may be able to help...... metal supermarket down on Keating. Or wilkinson steel Or try westshore spring and 4x4. Or buy a used trailer off usedvic and take what you need from it.

Or buy a used trailer off usedvic and take what you need from it.

Or take a almost new trailer and scrap the old one.... ;)

Some good deals come up..

Thanks for the ideas guys. I know that $650 for a decent trailer is a great deal but I like my trailer and I don't want to shell out $650 for 3 pieces of structural metal. There has got to be a better way of fixing this. I hate this wasteful attitude - if something breaks just throw it out and get something new. I know that I am a dying breed but I'd like to think things are worth fixing first if it's not a total write off. At least I try first.

I am now even toying with the idea of replacing with more readily available metals like alu or SS.

You know things do wear out dont you Chris??? LOL LOL
do you try and rebuild a 5 year old flasher too?????LOL

metal super markets are gougers. Cory at westshore springs would know who has what. Ive bought down at the place on the lower road on esq side by johnson st bridge. ill ask around

I too prefer to fix things instead of the toss and replace. When it is necessary to replace something, I much prefer to search for used first. At least with a trailer, the old one can be recycled instead of landfill.

I laughed when I read Roy's comment about flashers as I recently peeled, cleaned and re taped some flashers. I guess that's just the type of dude I am......I hate seeing things go to waste if they are still usable.

Back