Fun with trailer wiring!

Baxter

How often do you rewire your trailer?

My left signal stopped working. I thought, easy fix. Now was I wrong!!

As I went to fix it I found a connection near the light was broken. Fixed it. Still no light. Then I found that where the wire plugs into the light was broken. Fixed it. Still didnt work. Then I found another broken butt connection. With every connection I fixed I think I broke another. Then I roughed in a new wire to replace my orange just on the outside of the trailer and did a temp twist together. Everything worked!

So I did it properly but then nothing worked! Turned out a ground broke. Fixed that. Then the other signal stopped working. Found another broken button connection.

What a nightmare!!!! Have it all pieced together and working now to get me through the summer. I think I ended up replacing 8-10 connections in the end and one run of wire (currently zip tied to outside of trailer!) Will pull all wires this fall or winter and completely redo the trailer wiring. Should have just started that way!!

It’s a 2020 EZ-loader. Did not expect issues like this so soon. Is replacing all wiring every 4 years the norm?

Attachments

• IMG_3229.jpeg
    IMG_3229.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3252.jpeg
    IMG_3252.jpeg
    271.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
yep. i just do the fast process - rip and throw everything out. spend $60 on a canadian tire kit and just rewire everything every 5 years. copper gradually corrodes from within when exposed to salt water. all the wiring basically is gone. all you need is the lights at the back. cops dont really care about the side markers. so just throw it all out, swap in new LED wiring kit and done.

no if you do i right once there is no need to redo it. i use ancor tinned jacketed 3 wire to the rear lights one cable per side and use sealed connectors to keep the water one
thanks! where do you buy the three wire? i also need to redo this winter

no if you do i right once there is no need to redo it. i use ancor tinned jacketed 3 wire to the rear lights one cable per side and use sealed connectors to keep the water one
How do you do the side markers and rear cross member light? They typically are spliced into the running light wire with those crappy T-tap connectors which expose the conductor to corrosion. To you run a homerun to each marker?

I was thinking of doing it that way and wiring everything from a junction box up near the hitch so it stays out of the water.

Until you have to replace the light itself like
I just had to. 86 bucks for one !
Ya, the connections at one light were broken to the point where my original light was compromised. Of course the lights that came on the trailer are discontinued.

Bought a nearly identical set at Parker Marine for $89 for both. One is sitting in my shop till needed.

When I replace it all I'll get the right stuff. The one strand I used to replace my orange was tinned 14ga from Strathcon.

How do you do the side markers and rear cross member light? They typically are spliced into the running light wire with those crappy T-tap connectors which expose the conductor to corrosion. To you run a homerun to each marker?

I was thinking of doing it that way and wiring everything from a junction box up near the hitch so it stays out of the water.
yes junction box on the tounge

Have you considered fabricating something to mount the lights on which you can fasten to the back of your boat? Get to the ramp and remove it and stow it in your vehicle. Keeps the lights out of the water and greatly reduces corrosion. As stated tinned marine wire is the best way to go. I’ve used electrical merrets (household) instead of butt connectors, twist the wires in them and then fill them with hot melt glue. Sounds odd but it does work. Good luck.

How often do you rewire your trailer?

My left signal stopped working. I thought, easy fix. Now was I wrong!!

As I went to fix it I found a connection near the light was broken. Fixed it. Still no light. Then I found that where the wire plugs into the light was broken. Fixed it. Still didnt work. Then I found another broken butt connection. With every connection I fixed I think I broke another. Then I roughed in a new wire to replace my orange just on the outside of the trailer and did a temp twist together. Everything worked!

So I did it properly but then nothing worked! Turned out a ground broke. Fixed that. Then the other signal stopped working. Found another broken button connection.

What a nightmare!!!! Have it all pieced together and working now to get me through the summer. I think I ended up replacing 8-10 connections in the end and one run of wire (currently zip tied to outside of trailer!) Will pull all wires this fall or winter and completely redo the trailer wiring. Should have just started that way!!

It’s a 2020 EZ-loader. Did not expect issues like this so soon. Is replacing all wiring every 4 years the norm?

Your post reminds me of an experience I had when I was about 16 years old. Our family had a 17’ Fibreform boat and my dad had stripped down the trailer to have it sandblasted and re-painted as it was starting to get some rusty spots. He left me with the new tail lights and harness to re-wire it while he was at work so we could go out for an evening fish. Pretty simple system so I had it wired up in about an hour and backed the truck up to it to plug it in and test it out.
That’s when the frustration began. Some functions worked, some didn’t, some blinked, some stayed on. I spent the next couple of hours re-stringing and trying every combination with no success. I finally just wired it up per original instructions and left it to explain my complete failure to my dad. He took one look and asked if I had tried it with the hitch on the ball? I had just backed the truck up close enough to attach the harness and hadn’t thought it would matter. Apparently it did as it created the ground needed to work properly. 🤬Lesson learned.

Have you considered fabricating something to mount the lights on which you can fasten to the back of your boat? Get to the ramp and remove it and stow it in your vehicle. Keeps the lights out of the water and greatly reduces corrosion. As stated tinned marine wire is the best way to go. I’ve used electrical merrets (household) instead of butt connectors, twist the wires in them and then fill them with hot melt glue. Sounds odd but it does work. Good luck.
That's a totally legit way to do it - in fact, its exactly how low voltage irrigation wiring is done:

Maybe I'll use these next time - can be a bit hard to find.

I have seriously thought about it but with such a new boat and trailer I just want it to look perfect. That will change with time though!

I just go with”officer they were working when I left the house”.
In reality good connections shrink sleeved with diaelectric grease should last. I solder everything

Back