FLYFISHING

justaspincaster

I AM LOOKING AT GETTING INTO FLYFISHING AND NEED INFO ON WHERE I SHOULD START WHAT I SHOULD LOOK FOR FOR MY FIRST ROD AND REEL AND WHAT WEIGHT OF LINE AND SO ON. ANY HELP WOULD BE AWESOME. CAN'T WAIT TO TRY I SEE ALOT OF PEOPLE ON THE RIVERS DOING BETTER THAN ME. JUST WANT MORE WEAPONS IN THE TACKLE BOX TO CATCH MORE FISH:)

wally world will have some ultra cheap packages that can get you out casting and fishing but you'll get what you pay for. Island outfitters would have some med. high end packages but depends on how much you wanna invest.

For flies you might wanna look on Ebay, guys are always selling fly boxes full of the most common patterns for pretty cheap. It can get damn expensive if you buy them one by one.

Practice with just a piece of yarn on the end until you get the hang of the motion.

yeah thats the size of it. Walmart has some ok stuff for cheap and if it brakes...well we all know about walmarts return policy. They also have packages of flys for cheap too. My biggest peace of advice to make your learning easier is LEARN THE KNOTS!!! they make all the diff! Good luck ! its so much more fun

thanks maxpower and poppa swiss for the info. is there any weight rod or line i should start with that is easier to start with or is anything ok.

ebay for flies was a great idea thanks Poppa Swiss

maxpower do you know any internet sites that are good for knots so i don't have to pay for a book to save a little.

finally is there any other tricks i should know about before starting and getting at it.

Hi Justaspincaster,

I think I am in the same boat as you right now and one thing I found on the internet was a good free fly fishing instructional video. To find it just go to youtube.com and search 'fly fishing lessons'. The video is divided up into 20+ parts and it covers pretty much the basics of fly fishing. I myself have been fly fishing for only a few years and though I have a very limited knowledge I learned quite a bit from this video. Good Luck!

The quality of fly rods and reels from Sage to take the maximum capacity and performance of fish in all its fly fishing adventures. Fly fishing information covering major rivers, lakes, mountains and national parks.

Fly Fishing is just amazing. After the Carp Fishing the next thing which comes in my mind is only Fly Fishing. I don't know and also don't to know that why I have a special corner for fly fishing in my heart.

Fer Gawds sake dont get sucked into buying an expensive rod and especially the reel....."Because it will make you a better fisherman!!!" The reel for most fishing, is just a spool to hold line. A novice does not need a $300 rod either... honest!

Depending where you are and what you expect to fish for, I would start off with a 6 weight rod for trout or an 8 weight rod for beach fishing.

Don't buy too cheap a rod as it can be hard to cast with. Get together with a friend or neighbour and try their rods to see what type of action you will enjoy. I have found that nice rods can be bought in the $150 range. The TFO Signature series rod is often mentioned as a good starting rod, but I find it a bit stiff to cast. I bought a Fenwick HMX when I started and I still find it pleasant to use. There are others, such as Echo, Redington, and Asmundson, that I have not tried. Try them your self before you buy, or go with someone that you trust and let them try the rods. Go to a good fly shop to look for the rods, as they will let you cast them on grass before you buy them

Spend some time looking at reels. As has been stated, for trout fishing the reel just stores the line. If you are going beach fishing for salmon, you will fight the fish from the reel. Look for a reel that is salt water friendly.

You will probably purchase a few lines for each weight, floating, intermediate, sink, sink tip, etc. You will want the most used lines able to be put on the rod without a lot of fuss. This can be done by having separate reels, or buying a reel with a cassette system. You may pay more for a reel with cassettes, but it will be less in the long run. Here, the Snowbee XSD or the Grey's GTX are ones to look at. The Snowbee comes with six cassetttes and, I believe, is in the $150 range. Dragonfly also makes a reel that takes cassettes. If you can find one used, the Dragonfly 355, 375 and 395 were good starting reels. They were graphite and come with cassettes. They sold new for about $80 and still sell for that used.

Take your time, talk to people and plan out your purchases. This may save you from having a mish-mash of different equipment, and will result in your having better quality equipment from the start.

Back