Flyfishing for salmon off beaches near Nanaimo

Theflyguy

I have possibly of coming to Nanaimo in late Sept. I am an accomplished lake flyfisher but would like to try to catch salmon off the shore. Can someone offer suggestions on where a person might have some success off the shore. I have both 7 and 9 weight rods. As a prairie boy I have never done this before so any and all suggestions would be very much appreciated

I have possibly of coming to Nanaimo in late Sept. I am an accomplished lake flyfisher but would like to try to catch salmon off the shore. Can someone offer suggestions on where a person might have some success off the shore. I have both 7 and 9 weight rods. As a prairie boy I have never done this before so any and all suggestions would be very much appreciated
Not sure around Nanaimo but 30 minutes north is French Creek and the beaches from there up past Nile Creek will have coho on them. Just need binoculars to look for jumpers. Chest waders and patience is a must! I will be back from work by then so if you want more info I can help you get on some fish

Not sure around Nanaimo but 30 minutes north is French Creek and the beaches from there up past Nile Creek will have coho on them. Just need binoculars to look for jumpers. Chest waders and patience is a must! I will be back from work by then so if you want more info I can help you get on some fish
Thanks for that info. Do you fish these spots during slack tides? Early morning? Does it matter? I have read from other discussions that floating lines are best with a slow sinking fly. I have a lot of those that I have tied up

Thanks for that info. Do you fish these spots during slack tides? Early morning? Does it matter? I have read from other discussions that floating lines are best with a slow sinking fly. I have a lot of those that I have tied up
Generally want a flood tide in the morning but not essential. Have caught them at all states of the tide and all times of day! Every tide is different so got to put the leg work in to find them

Back