flasher's

There was a post about them here a while back.

Being an inline unit they won't give whatever's behind any action at all so for my money they have very limited application.

There was a post about them here a while back.

Being an inline unit they won't give whatever's behind any action at all so for my money they have very limited application.

These flashers are just a bunch of entrepreneurs trying to cash in. They're from the Great Lakes and the States.

No commercial boats fish with them..and if they did, it would not take long for them to really explode.

If you believe that you're going to catch a fish because of fishing with one of those flashers whereas a "conventional" dodger or flasher wouldn't catch the same fish, you've been "hook, line and sinkered"

If so..why not use a dummy flasher? These new flashers are DUMB and something so dude thought up in his basement in some drunken state after making a few empties trying to look for excuses for why he wasn't catching fish. LOL!

Everyone wants to build a better mouse trap....yet most people fail. Quick..somebody contact the scientists..get them on this quick! lol.

These flashers are just a bunch of entrepreneurs trying to cash in. They're from the Great Lakes and the States.

No commercial boats fish with them..and if they did, it would not take long for them to really explode.

If you believe that you're going to catch a fish because of fishing with one of those flashers whereas a "conventional" dodger or flasher wouldn't catch the same fish, you've been "hook, line and sinkered"

If so..why not use a dummy flasher? These new flashers are DUMB and something so dude thought up in his basement in some drunken state after making a few empties trying to look for excuses for why he wasn't catching fish. LOL!

Everyone wants to build a better mouse trap....yet most people fail. Quick..somebody contact the scientists..get them on this quick! lol.

I agree with Magician.Ask yourself what does a flasher do?.Marketing is the name of the game in flashers.If you believe a orange coloured coyote monkey puke upside down flasher catches more fish then it works.But I would say any old green flasher will do the same job.I have fallen prey to the sales pitch on flashers on occasion.They sit unused for the most part.I fish alot and I use flashers mostly as dummies.They are attractors. As long as the swivales work then anything should work.Some tackle is designed to catch fisherman.

I agree with Magician.Ask yourself what does a flasher do?.Marketing is the name of the game in flashers.If you believe a orange coloured coyote monkey puke upside down flasher catches more fish then it works.But I would say any old green flasher will do the same job.I have fallen prey to the sales pitch on flashers on occasion.They sit unused for the most part.I fish alot and I use flashers mostly as dummies.They are attractors. As long as the swivales work then anything should work.Some tackle is designed to catch fisherman.

Any opinions about the Farr Better Flasher? I recently picked one up and would like to know if it really works as claimed, or did the sellers just catch a fisherman. It features "fight the fish not the flasher" breakaway design like several other flashers over the years have, but the key element I like was the ability to adjust the action if you wished to troll slower and still have the unit kick around through the placement of a pin on the aft end of same. Any thoughts.

Any opinions about the Farr Better Flasher? I recently picked one up and would like to know if it really works as claimed, or did the sellers just catch a fisherman. It features "fight the fish not the flasher" breakaway design like several other flashers over the years have, but the key element I like was the ability to adjust the action if you wished to troll slower and still have the unit kick around through the placement of a pin on the aft end of same. Any thoughts.

Same thing with this unit.

From what I've heard if the strike is hard enough..it trips and you have to bring it up to fix it with a reset..meanwhile the fish that may have been sizing it up and ready to make another pass at your lure too off because it good spooked and your lure/hootchy is no longer fishing with the correct action.

A friend that had one said that it caused more tangles in a pop off stacking situation than the "benefits" apparently alleviated. The fish still took the ridiculously long runs as they did with the conventional flashers too. In one instance, he said the flasher hung up and tangled in another line which probably could have been worked from if the flasher didn't wrap around it.

STICK with the tried 'n true flashers.

These FAR BETTER dudes had an interesting idea...however..you're getting hook line and sinkered...just in a different fashion..NOTICE that they (Far Better) didn't mention those drawbacks I told you above did they? lol.

I thought gimmick when I saw it...and that's what it is

Same thing with this unit.

From what I've heard if the strike is hard enough..it trips and you have to bring it up to fix it with a reset..meanwhile the fish that may have been sizing it up and ready to make another pass at your lure too off because it good spooked and your lure/hootchy is no longer fishing with the correct action.

A friend that had one said that it caused more tangles in a pop off stacking situation than the "benefits" apparently alleviated. The fish still took the ridiculously long runs as they did with the conventional flashers too. In one instance, he said the flasher hung up and tangled in another line which probably could have been worked from if the flasher didn't wrap around it.

STICK with the tried 'n true flashers.

These FAR BETTER dudes had an interesting idea...however..you're getting hook line and sinkered...just in a different fashion..NOTICE that they (Far Better) didn't mention those drawbacks I told you above did they? lol.

I thought gimmick when I saw it...and that's what it is

I've been using the Farr release for the last three seasons, exclusively. I've never had tangles and am one that occasionally will stack three rods per down rigger with two dummies on top of that.
I have even gone as far (sic) as drilling all my Hotspot flashers and made releases for them too.
Just my thoughts.

I've been using the Farr release for the last three seasons, exclusively. I've never had tangles and am one that occasionally will stack three rods per down rigger with two dummies on top of that.
I have even gone as far (sic) as drilling all my Hotspot flashers and made releases for them too.
Just my thoughts.

my boss at the lodge wont even let me use anything but the farr better! they work very well, and it is really nice not to have to fight the flasher. as far as the pin not pulling out, dont push it in all the way.

my boss at the lodge wont even let me use anything but the farr better! they work very well, and it is really nice not to have to fight the flasher. as far as the pin not pulling out, dont push it in all the way.

My buddy makes all of my flashers into releasing flashers. It has taken me a while to have confidence in them, but now I use them all of the time. I think that we lose much fewer fish by the boat, due to the flasher not creating drag at the surface when the fish thrases and jumps.

I like them.

FishWish

My buddy makes all of my flashers into releasing flashers. It has taken me a while to have confidence in them, but now I use them all of the time. I think that we lose much fewer fish by the boat, due to the flasher not creating drag at the surface when the fish thrases and jumps.

I like them.

FishWish

Blue Orca and Eagle Eyes, since you have used the Farr Better unit:

1) does it really let you troll slower by the positioning of the pins?
2) do you know what minimum speed for this unit to rotate properly?
3) can you effectively go at a slow "cut plug" speed?
Thanks.

Blue Orca and Eagle Eyes, since you have used the Farr Better unit:

1) does it really let you troll slower by the positioning of the pins?
2) do you know what minimum speed for this unit to rotate properly?
3) can you effectively go at a slow "cut plug" speed?
Thanks.

Dance a jig;
Flashers (ie Hotspots et al) were designed for the commercial fleet trolling at 3.5 MPH
I use the various pin settings to impart different action on what ever I'm using behind it and what kind of current I'm in.
For Sockeye and Chum with leaders under 24 inch's I usually go to the fast position.
Springs are in the normal(center) in no or little current and slow in the fast current.
I mention the speed thing only because I only troll slow for Sockeye and Chum.
And as some others can attest, I usually back troll for chum in the tide rips.
So in answer to you questions
1)yes, maybe
2) same as any other flasher
3) yes
Plugs at 2.2 to 2.4 MPH
Baitbusters without flashers at 3.2 to 3.5 MPH
Cut plug is the only thing I will slow down for on springs.
Out in Nootka I will usually use the other boats as pylons.

Back