Flashers: Glow vs UV etc.?

Unless you are fishing really deep where it really matters....this style or that style flasher colouration means f all. Blade colour is important...depending on the water coloration....also...sport flashers catch....sport fishers! Had a 5 gallon pail of different flashers...the leading sh*t which cost the most didn't catch more than the next one over....what I call the classics.

Unless you're a super high liner whispering fish like the pied piper for money (of which I know a few who will crush you) ....check out the back of a few commercial trollers and you'll see none of the sh*t taking up the majority of sport tackle stores.

Unless you are fishing really deep where it really matters....this style or that style flasher colouration means f all. Blade colour is important...depending on the water coloration....also...sport flashers catch....sport fishers! Had a 5 gallon pail of different flashers...the leading sh*t which cost the most didn't catch more than the next one over....what I call the classics.

Unless you're a super high liner whispering fish like the pied piper for money (of which I know a few who will crush you) ....check out the back of a few commercial trollers and you'll see none of the sh*t taking up the majority of sport tackle stores.
Yup ... some flashers catch more humans than fish.

and he probably doesn't want to listen to you either .. the fishing bug sickness it last for roughly 2 years some never recover ...
Lol I think he's talking about me ???? And it's been going on longer then 2 years lol but ..... I'm slowly going back to just standard flashers with the silver on them they seem to work just as good or better sometimes.

Not sure if everyone is as boggled as I am over the variety of flashers out there? I get the value of glow in dark,
deep,murky conditions and that the regular luminous glow flashers require charging with a bright light source or the sun etc. but whats the deal with UV. Do they require charging and if so with what, and are they as bright as the luminous glows? What type is most preferred or is a combo the way to go? Any favorites that consistently perform?

I think we are all a bunch of suckers... me included. Most of the new flashers is just a marketing ploy by the companies. they need to keep putting out new ones so they make more money. I had about 30 different flashers two years ago. I got rid of 20 as an experiment. In the winter I use only 5, a combination of UV and glow flashers by Gibbs, i have red, yellow, green, purple (maddi) and lemon lime, that's it. I fish alot and I caught just as many fish if not more than before. In the summer I use the same ones and add in some of my favourite summer flashers like betsy, and some straight UV or rasperry.
They are really all the same, they just keep inventing different variations of the same thing and then the guides they hire say they use different flashers each time they catch a fish. How many variations of a purple flasher do you need? Only one, Maddi does it all for you. All you need is yellow, purple, red, and green!

My own personal opinion is the body color on the flasher means very little unless you strip the tape off one or both sides. Most flashers do just fine with silver tape. Some days a flasher with gold tape on one side (or both sides) will work better. Add a few good UV and glow flashers into the mix and you've pretty much got all you really need for most situations.

If you strip the tape from your beat up flashers they can work extremely well some days. For flashers stripped of their tape chartreuse and red work the best relatively shallow (60ft and up). Down deep black and purple seem to throw the best silhouette when there is little light.

If you're just starting fishing I'd say you could cover all the bases with a half dozen flashers. I'd start with red and green flashers. Then UV and Blue. Glow for winter fishing, and a gold taped flasher for murky water. The 100 other flasher combos all work well too, but unless you're planning on bringing an entire tackle store your production won't change that drastically. You could buy every colour under the sun, but your only feeding your addiction and making the tackle companies rich. Just my opinion

Anyone tried attaching any color glow stick with rubber band to there flasher?I see some flahers come with some sort of transmiter that attracks fish.I might have found my next flasher and modification.

Anyone tried attaching any color glow stick with rubber band to there flasher?
Tape or Glow beads in different colours would be much easier-use a drop of glue for the beads.

http://www.hooptapecanada.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=40

https://www.kokaneetackle.com/p-698-radical-glow-beads.aspx

I see some flashers come with some sort of transmiter that attracks fish.I might have found my next flasher and modification.
I met a Guy who decided to do an experiment aboard his friend's small Salmon troller-'transmitter/chip' flasher on one side plain on the other-the 'transmitters/chips' all fell off the blades under normal conditions.

One summer in the Charlottes we were transitioning from more success with gear to more with bait around mid July. A couple of us tried some clear flashers, no colour, no tape, no nothing. They worked.
I've always been more of a right place right time believer more than "it has to be blue right now" mind set. That being said, I have had success switching to certain plugs or hootchies when given a tip from someone who's on them.
Also have a couple of beat up flashers with missing tape that just seem to work better than some of the hot ones. I'm still a tackle-holic though....

Having the right colour hoochie or spoon is more important in my mind than the flasher. Having the perfect match of flasher certainly helps increase your catch though. Ask any commercial troller and it may shock you how dialed in to the color of lure and water they are. When you can run as many different color hoochies at one time as they can it's pretty easy to dial in the right colour. Once they have figured out the hot color they may switch their entire spread to that one colour. Theirs a reason why the com trollers rely heavily on Flashers and hoochies. They kill when you've found exactly the right combo the fish are "on". That's a little harder to do when your limited to running 2-4 lines off sports riggers.

And yes, it probably would shock most people that untaped Flashers (or Flashers with only a small piece of tape) work extremely well at times. It certainly wouldn't do to advertise that at the tackle companies. That would kill their business if they couldn't push a new "must have" color every year. I used to throw out or give away my beat up Flashers. Now I remove the tapes and drill a couple of 1/2 inch holes on the back end to give them a whole different look and sound signature in the water. I even go so far as to cut off a portion of the flasher on the back end at a 40 degree angle. It may sound totally insane to alter a flasher that dramatically, but it does work. Some times the Salmon just prefer a more subtle or different presentation I guess.

Here's a pic of how I've modified some of my old Flashers. This one started life a red Luhr Jensen Silver Eagle flasher with silver tape. I can tell the brand by the corkscrew connector on the back end. I used to really like the Luhr Jensen Flashers. They used to be quite reasonably priced when they had their own CDN distribution warehouse on Powell St in Vancouver. Their Flashers are pretty pricey now a days though.

index.php

I have a good variety of flashers, but the last couple of years, I decided to use an old green flasher where one side the silver tape has pealed off from the white backing. Now one side is white and the other has the silver tape and that has been my best flasher. My theory is that these fancy flashers are much more effective in catching the fishermen than the fish.:)

I have a good variety of flashers, but the last couple of years, I decided to use an old green flasher where one side the silver tape has pealed off from the white backing. Now one side is white and the other has the silver tape and that has been my best flasher. My theory is that these fancy flashers are much more effective in catching the fishermen than the fish.:)

White and black are two of the best colours especially for deep fishing as they remain their true shade no matter how deep. They do not change there colour, or wash out into a shade of grey underwater as most other colors do. That's why flashers that have lost the reflective foil off the tape leaving a white body work well. I used to buy the cheap Gibbs white and black flashers exactly for that reason. I would remove the tape from one or both sides to expose the white or black body of the flasher. You can add a small 1-2 inch band of glow tape to enhance it with some glow properties while still maintaining the majority white/black body.

Prarie Locked posted an example of this style earlier on a black bodied flasher. You can either put the glow tape down the center, or down the edge of the flasher. That is a very effective way to doctor up your own flashers.

31741-356202fb9d9aea51e8c02afc868afaf0.jpg

Last edited:

I have the same green flasher with silver one side and peeled off to white the other. Its amazing. Some truth behind it.

Back