Flashers: Glow vs UV etc.?

High Time

Crew Member
Not sure if everyone is as boggled as I am over the variety of flashers out there? I get the value of glow in dark,
deep,murky conditions and that the regular luminous glow flashers require charging with a bright light source or the sun etc. but whats the deal with UV. Do they require charging and if so with what, and are they as bright as the luminous glows? What type is most preferred or is a combo the way to go? Any favorites that consistently perform?

My new favourite is the white blade with crinkly glow on one side and uv/moonjelly/crinkly pinky purple on the other. Gibbs and Hotspot make one. O'ki probably does too.

My new favourite is the white blade with crinkly glow on one side and uv/moonjelly/crinkly pinky purple on the other. Gibbs and Hotspot make one. O'ki probably does too.

Yeah, that kinda ticks all the buckets in one shot. Now only if one side was white and the other side half polished silver and polished brass.

Yeah, that kinda ticks all the buckets in one shot. Now only if one side was white and the other side half polished silver and polished brass.
With 24k gold plating around the outside for trim as well :)

UV blades dont require charging.

I think the way they work is by reflecting UV rays, similar to the way some objects interact with a black light. Humans cant normally see UV rays, or maybe visible light just overpowers it, idk exactly.

The reason UV flashers and lures are effective though, is the UV light can penetrate the water column deeper than visible light. Try holding a UV flasher under a black light, its surprisingly bright.

Im not sure of the exact "effective range" of UV reflective flashers, but I fish them at all depths. Most of my flashers are UV and glow, except for a couple Betsys and Peetz. I dont think the UV matters much in the top 30 feet or so if I had to guess.

Anything in UV chartreuse/green/purple with a side of glow tape would be a good place to start.

Sold on "glow" spoons, hoochies, flashers. Always charge with black light before each trip down. Especially important fishing merky or deeper waters or winter off bottom.
Go to Spring/Koho flashers:
Kinetic Glow
Glow Green Onion
Glow Purple Onion
Old Betsy (added glow tape)

I think if you are fishing in the depths of Campbell River without O'ki's Kinetic flashers or Gibb's Moonjelly flashers that you are missing the mark. The UV flash that comes off of that Kinetic/Moonjelly tape is amazing. Combine that with glow on the back and you have a winner. Lots of good success last year with the Gibb's Bon Chovy and at the end of the seasons with the new Twisted Sista was a hit.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 134
Well we are on the flashers topic : New announcement :)

March 1, 2017

Gibbs-Delta Tackle is pleased to announce that it has purchased Oki Tackle and all of its assets. Oki Tackle has been providing innovative tackle to Canada, Alaska and the Pacific Northwest since 1972 and developed a solid following for its Big Shooter Flashers, Titan Spoons and Juan De Fuca Teaser Heads.

Gibbs-Delta Tackle is Canada's oldest and largest tackle manufacturer and is celebrating its 109th anniversary this year. Gibbs-Delta Tackle supplies over 8000 sku's of fishing tackle world-wide.

This acquisition will be beneficial to our distribution and retail partners. You will now have access to Oki as well as Gibbs, Delta Tackle, Zak Tackle, Rhys Davis, Silver Horde, Yamashita and Kite Tail all on one purchase order.

Don't get me wrong I like Gibbs flashers too, but there is no must have flasher in my opinion. They all do the same job equally well, provide attraction and motion to your lure. I personally think a good portion of the flashers attraction isn't even of the visible type. I think a large part of the attraction is from the sonic vibrations detected by the Salmons lateral line, especially down deep where little light penetrates. Hate to say it but, some of my most productive flashers have no tape on them at all. Not saying your wasting your money buying the latest flavours of the day, but if they made that big a difference you'd see them dangling off every commercial trollers spread.

March 1, 2017

Gibbs-Delta Tackle is pleased to announce that it has purchased Oki Tackle and all of its assets. Oki Tackle has been providing innovative tackle to Canada, Alaska and the Pacific Northwest since 1972 and developed a solid following for its Big Shooter Flashers, Titan Spoons and Juan De Fuca Teaser Heads.

Gibbs-Delta Tackle is Canada's oldest and largest tackle manufacturer and is celebrating its 109th anniversary this year. Gibbs-Delta Tackle supplies over 8000 sku's of fishing tackle world-wide.

This acquisition will be beneficial to our distribution and retail partners. You will now have access to Oki as well as Gibbs, Delta Tackle, Zak Tackle, Rhys Davis, Silver Horde, Yamashita and Kite Tail all on one purchase order.
Ya heard that was going down...I hope that they don't bastardize the brand and offshore everything to China...We need Trudeau to pull a page from Trumps playbook and keep that from happening ;) (Did I just kick a hornets net? Haha).

I have the UV/glow/Moonjelly flashers mostly, but I'm skeptical. I heard it's the vibration/pulsation they emit in the water that is an attractant.

I figure as long as you have flash, glow, uv, or combination you are good to go. Heard success with black flashers too... Honestly I haven't noticed a big difference with colour changes. But I definitely have my "Go to" that I use everytime. I think it's important to refine/dial in your bait or spoon presentation, then worry about the flashers after. Has just changing the flasher ever made a difference for anyone on here? I can't say, because I usually change both that and bait/presentation at the same time

Ya heard that was going down...I hope that they don't bastardize the brand and offshore everything to China...We need Trudeau to pull a page from Trumps playbook and keep that from happening ;) (Did I just kick a hornets net? Haha).
Mr Selfie is too busy selling us down the river to worry about that

March 1, 2017

Lol I don't know if that's a good thing. No competition=higher prices. Glad I've already got a lifetimes amount of heads and flashers hoarded away.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comebacks and collected info. I currently have high intensity LED for charging purposes but have seen black light recommended and wondered if it was significantly better or just another source ?
Does black light have any effect on the brightness of UV?

I like these too. I think it's the best of both worlds when fishing below 75', more important where I typically fish at double that - 150-200'.

The glow is great but need to be cognizant of the need to recharge. The UV I believe is good as well, from what I understand salmonoids see quite a bit in the UV range but it needs to refract sunlight. I think this is also important with whatever lures you are using. I'll snap some pictures of last seasons best producing flashers and post, I kind of went through my entire inventory trying to get dialed in. :eek:

Here are the top 2.
On the left, the Gibbs Delta Bonchovy with UV/glow, and on the right is a Hot Spot UV glow crushed jelly with a black blade. This year I plan to remove the narrow glow strip and replace with UV tape the whole back side.

Front
IMG_2966.JPG

Back
IMG_2967.JPG

Recently purchased jewelry from Cabela's Hometown heroes event.
IMG_2968.JPG

Back