fishing today

It was very lumpy we had to come in from crabbing not fun being tossed around like a rag doll and trust me thats hard to do with me LOL there sure was a lot of boats out there though!!!!!!!

Wolf

wasn't too bad at whirl bay. Got a 9 lb salmon and a smaller one which we let go weighed it at Cheanuh. Purlple hoochie. 140 feet, near bottom.

wasn't too windy or choppy either! But there was a constant ebb, no slack tides and got salmon anyhow.

Slow day trolling from cattle point to brotchie ledge.
No fish, no bait, no birds. Skunked!

For any of you guys who took home fish this week from Vic to Sooke waters. How big was the bait in their guts? Three weeks ago Whirl Bay I found 5-6" herring. Wondering about now for when I go again. Would be a usefull tidbit to know.

quote:
Nothing off Tent Isl. or the narrows today , Grandson had fun with crabs we got off of Bare Pt. by Chemainus.
didn't put out prawn traps will tomorrow.

AL
Hey Al...I'm a newb in Chemainus..fished a bit out of Sooke and Rennie, but never dropped a deep line around here.. do you usually have any luck around Tent or Porlier ? got a prawn crap trap for Xmas so will be trying that out if the weather ever improves...where do you launch ?

Hi , I live in Crofton and launch just down the road from my house( been in Crofton for 38 years) there was excellent winter spring fishing many moons ago before the runs in the area got slaughtered, off the cliff face at Tent Isl. was quite productive at depths around 110 ft, small minnow herring and anchovy worked well, so did strip in a clear head with the narrow red stripe on it, hootchies were also good mostly in the green colours and army truck patterns.
As for the prawns look on your area map and find the deep holes directly out from the cliff face of Tent Isl. , you will see 200 ft depths and then several holes to 265 ft to 300 ft, thats the spots on the ebbing tides, for some reason they are scarce on the flood even though it's only 1/4 knot faster according to the charts, I thought at one time the tide height(volume of water moving) made a difference but in my experience it has not.
Porlier Pass is much the same, fish the outside on the flooding tide around the bell bouy or down to half moon bay anywhere from 55 ft to 165 ft as the bottom drops off, the commercial guys years ago followed the 30 fathom line and trolled at 100 to 145 ft for the springs.
At Porlier watch out for a NW wind that can come up quickly, running the pass on a hard flooding tide and a stiff Nor'wester is ugly , stay close to the South side and watch for haystack boiling waves they will throw a lot of bubbles into the prop and cavitate the poop out of you especially in a smaller boat with low freeboard.

AL .

From the Chemainus aspect I've seen guys drop traps just off of Thetis and Kuper.
Fished off of that sandstone cliff on Tent today. One other guy trolling. No bites and nothing on the sounder. Few prawns.
Quite a few guys were prawning off of North reef and sitting on their traps. Lotta fog. Granted not as bad as on the West coast!

Back