Fishing off of Otter Point

• Thread starter Thread starter Tom Kubos
  • Start date Start date
T

Tom Kubos

Hello, I have never fished in the waters off of Victoria, Sooke area. But have fished up Island for years. Mostly Pt. Alberni.
Need to know what is bitting , what to use , and how much leader etc., to fish off of Otter Bay...

Tom Kubos

Red Hot Spot Flasher to an anchovie teaser head 6 to 8 foot leader trolled at 55 feet works from time to time. ;)

It's good to have friends.
It's better to have friends with boats.

quote:
Red Hot Spot Flasher to an anchovie teaser head 6 to 8 foot leader trolled at 55 feet works from time to time. ;)

It's good to have friends.
It's better to have friends with boats.

This is exactly what I was doing at Otter last Sunday and I got NADA. It was the dead sea for me out there. Nobody seemed to be doing any screamin hell though.

That rig you mention is the typically one I go with and I rarely get skunked with it.

Tide change was not bad....saw several decent fish bonked.
Got a small spring and what appeared to be a Sockeye.
Kind of unsure....had light blue eyes, blackish gums but white tongue
with teeth. No spots and a forked tail. Any one else seen Socks down this way?

It can be tough to ID a species you're not familiar with but if you bonk it you better be sure. I'm not suggesting you kept it, but Sockeye are closed right now and DFO has just made an announcement that Fraser Sockeye returns are way below the expected numbers and the fish are smaller than previous years so I doubt we'll see an opening until a major body of fish appear.
Anyhoo...these fish are quite unique. They have a distinctive green hue above the lateral line, no spots on the tail, and have no sharp teeth (unlike a coho or chinook).
Take at look at the DFO website - they have descriptions for all 5 species (see link). Check the chum description because they look somewhat similar to sockeye.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Species/sockeye_e.htm

27 lb, 25 lb and 4 pinks on Sunday from Otter. Biggest on a similar rig.
Best way to tell sockeye is run your finger in the top of their mouth. sockeye feel like sand paper. Others ar teethy.
Heard there were some sockeye around but did not hook any. I fish mainly bait though.

Also saw the DFO at Sooke Marina. Apparently there were a few illegal coho.

Back