Fishing for Steelhead in the Ocean

• Thread starter Thread starter RVN10
  • Start date Start date
R

RVN10

My friend lives in a little bay in Gordon Head and early in the morning and just before dark steelhead are seen jumping close to shore, i would love to catch some of these, can anyone help me out with what to use, i will be wading out as far as a can and casting either a fly or lure to where these fish are.

Thanks

i'd highly doubt their steelies...
more likely feeder chinooks.
try a pink pearl or green/white buzz bomb or zinger myabe.

Could also be sea run cutties i have heard of them in there quite often

Wolf

yea i was a bit suprised when i heard they were steelhead, my friends uncle came up from california and caught 3 and said they were steelheads, maybe hes wrong, but i dunno, he knows his stuff

Edited by - RVN10 on 01/29/2006 21:23:10

i guess the real way to find out is catch one, any more info on what to use? flies? lures?

they sounded like sea run Cutthroats to me, i will check for the red slashes on its’ throat if i get ahold of one.

Edited by - RVN10 on 01/29/2006 21:29:04

note that sea runs dont always show an obvious slash under the chin...

if the maxilla- top jawbone goes back past the eye then they are cutties.(although if they have slashes anyway that gives er away usually)

Hi,Here's how they catch steelies in the salt.I got to watch them on whidbey is.Use a #4 spin-n-glow in red or pink with green.Then put a bead between your hook and spinn glow put a red sqiurt or hootchie trailing. Go to steelheaders.net scroll down and you will see a picture.

thanks the runt

Coho. Tinsel bodied flies. He's right. Late summer. Right at dark they come splashing right up to the rocks. BUT- you can be walking with your dog and they-re there right at dusk. So for the next week you're there with your rod every night NOTHING SHOWING!!! Very unpredictable. Last year was bad. But 2 3 years ago very good.
Find Cormorant Point and go talk to the guys that fish there.

Edited by - saltydawg on 01/30/2006 08:45:04

Back