fishing elk lake

tinboatrobb

spent an hour and a half on elk this morning. trolled gangtroll and worm. caught 3, released 2 and kep a 3 pounder for dinner. the fog was really cool.

Right on. Almost went there yesterday myself but ended up elsewhere. Soon though. Heading out in the morning somewhere, maybe Elk, maybe out Sooke/Renfrew way, maybe?????? Dunno at this point but I'm goin somewhere. Got the whole day to mess around and do what I like, it's my birthday!!! :D

Right on. Almost went there yesterday myself but ended up elsewhere. Soon though. Heading out in the morning somewhere, maybe Elk, maybe out Sooke/Renfrew way, maybe?????? Dunno at this point but I'm goin somewhere. Got the whole day to mess around and do what I like, it's my birthday!!! :D

Man , you are a brave soul. The fish from Elk taste like somebody's jym sock. Fishing used to be really good in that lake with fish up to 28" seen on a regular basis. Wild cutties too. That was about 18years ago. Since that time fishing has become less productive and it seems that everyone insists on keeping the fish they catch. And the way they taste .......I just don't get it.

Gratz on the fish tinboatrobb! My bro caught one bout 4lbs back in june. Went into the smoker, and turned out to be some of the nicest fish i have tasted. My bro also takes a few over to my step dad once in a while, never heard him complain once about the taste. [:p]

I don't think they taste bad either and I've eaten tons of them in the last 25+ years.

As for bonking your catch. It's a "put and take" lake and lots are put in there annually just for that reason. So bonk away, my friends as long as you are withing your limits you have nothing to worry about. I would suggest to only bonk what you can reasonably eat though.

Also, a reminder that in Region 1, Vancouver Island, a person is permitted to take 4 fish per day from a lake but not more than 1 over 50 cm (20 inches) . :)

Put and take yes, but with more and more trout being stocked, it's no wonder that the overall size of fish is going down.With competition from all the species that are now present in the lake there is just too many variables to allow fish to get to trophy size . With every large brood fish being taken because of the "put and take " mentality, we have basically resigned ourselves to just that . A put and take fishery. I am telling you that the fish used to average much larger. It would be no trouble at all to hook 20+ fish in an afternoon of fishing with a fly. MOst of these would be easily over 23". I am sorry, but those consistent days are gone. Elk lake is only one of a handful of lakes on the island where the acidity is low enough to allow nutrient levels to flourish. This lake could grow 10 lb trout easily. These fish will no longer get a chance to get to this size however. Even if the stocking was to be downsized, all if not most of the trout would be quickly taken by anglers. The remaining species( smallmouth, largemouth, pumpkinseed,perch,carp and catfish) would certainly pressure the lowly trout out of existance in a lake that has been deemed a coarse exclusive fihery. Thanks to however illegally planted those foreign species in the first place to only aggrevate the issue.
.........and we are worried about the rowers??????????

Well that was my rant
Just a perspective guys. Nothing really aimed at anybody other than the illegal stocker.
Those other species are great fun, just not in our coastal lakes. Sadly this lake has become pooched as many other island locations will .

On those 20 fish days I remember a couple of decades ago, few of the fish would exceed 23 inches that I remember. The majority I would say would be about 18 - 20 inches but there were some big ones. I've caught them, I know they were there but I'm just saying that I didn't find them to be that common.

As for today's fishery, you're right, there's a lot of coarse fish in there that there didn't use to be. However, the fish I've hooked in the last couple of years have been good quality fish. Many in the 18 - 22 inch class, some bigger. Not as many as 20 years ago but certainly enough of them to have a great day. Some of the stocked fish are triploids and potentially could turn into the 10 pound fish you mention. Based on them growing about a pound a year, some of those fellas should be pushing 5+ pounds this fall. Let's hope so.:D

And that's just my perspective. :D

Sounds good.At least some one is on or near the same page.
I have still seen many good fish come out of the lake. We just have to try to let the lunkers back. I have seen a trout or two lunge into the air that looked to me like they could easily push 8lbs. These weren't carp ( for the ney sayers )It really doesn't take much for trout to get heavy. Look at trout ponds with no pressure. Fish to 12lbs are common.
Too bad though about the wild cutties that use to be in Elk and Prospect for that matter. Those were some hogs!
Prospect. Now that is a whole other story. Remember those fish. Before the leeching from the dump it was a real fun lake. Better than Elk or Langford for big Bows.

I've never been into going to Prospect, I don't know why, I just don't ever go there.

I caught one trout at Elk in the mid 80's that far exeeded that 23 inches. A very memorable fish. I caught him right in front of the reed bed just to the north of where the fishing pier is now. The thing looked like a coho for christ sakes, it was huge. LOL Anyway, I had a plastic pan in my boat with water in it that has the inches marked off across the bottom of it. The bottom of the pan is 22 inches, this fish was laying in the pan and his tail was curled up one side, his head up the other. A memorable trout from there for sure. [8D]

I've seen a few similar to that come from Langford lake as well.

Also, I wanted to mention that in my circle of friends, there are few of these fish bonked. I take maybe 6-8/year. Enough to have some smoked trout for x-mas is typical. I take newbies out on occasion too that may kill their 4. No biggie, they go fishing once every 5 years for one day with me, maybe. I think most people are pretty good, I don't see nearly as much abuse as I used to but there are still a few of those dudes out there for sure.

Cheers,
Jim.

New to the freshwater forum.

What are you guys catching there?

Rainbows?

thanks

Well, trout are all smoked and taste fantastic. For those of you who think the fish are muddy, i have to say that when smoked you cannot tell them from the best commercialy smoked trout.

quote:Originally posted by kelsey_d

eating the fish from elk?? [xx(] u grow a third arm yet;)

Still waiting for mine to grow and when it does, it'll just make it easier to down those lucksters while my other two arms are working the gear. ;)

right on kildonan. when will these guys learn. i have been fishing and eating fish from all the local lakes for 30 yrs, and I feel fine.

bass fishing tips: bass go deeper due to cooler weather. Jig with worms or troll with raphalas in shallow waters in warm afternoons.

I had a luck with a bass at Beaver Lake's sandy shore by using a bobber and worm. A friend of mine had a bass on a fly.

Back