Fishing Barkley/Alberni in late September

Hey all, I've got an opportunity to head out with the boys and fish 2-3 days at the end of the month or the first week in October. The boat is in Alberni so our options are Alberni Inlet or Barkley Sound.

Are there usually still some big Chinook around? Would I be too early for the big Northern Coho run?

September is the best month for large springs and cohoes in both the inlet and Barkley Sound. You may just want to monitor the forum to have an idea of where is the action before you go.

quote:Originally posted by teamchachi

Hey all, I've got an opportunity to head out with the boys and fish 2-3 days at the end of the month or the first week in October. The boat is in Alberni so our options are Alberni Inlet or Barkley Sound.

Are there usually still some big Chinook around? Would I be too early for the big Northern Coho run?

I've spent lots of time in Barkley and Alberni in August but never had the chance to fish it in late September. Just wondering what changes? Luckily we are super flexible and can go wherever the fish happen to be...

I will be heading over there around the middle of the month, for about 2 weeks, to fish coho in the canal. Send me your email and I will let you know how we do.

I've spent lots of time in Barkley and Alberni in August but never had the chance to fish it in late September. Just wondering what changes? Luckily we are super flexible and can go wherever the fish happen to be...

The Somass (Robertson Creek) run of large chinooks peaks in September, and the northern coho arrives in September. You can fish for both into October. Also, around Bamfield, you have chinook going to Robertson Creek, Sarita and Nitinat.

3 years ago I caught my biggest spring ever.
It was the end of September, 7 miles of Cape Beale.
200' deep, 6" coyote cap car, no flasher.
Go for it!
Roo.

I fish Bamfield every year, second week in September,the spring run is usally starting to peter out about then, but we have caught a few in the 30's,there still there but it's more hit and miss, but the coho fishing is picking up about then that's a lot of fun.Bring lots of bait DAN

Back