Fisheries fines from yesterday. No names no pack drills

You know whats funny and most people dont know, but never did you need a special licence for tuna on a commercial boat. Any commercial boat can catch tuna. Last year they issued a registration fee of 50 bucks so DFO could track how many boats were tuna fishing ( assuming the reason ). This guy probly either didnt know or forgot to fill out the piece of paper. Just another DFO gong show. Poor guys went broke this year id assume. they should have just made him fill out the paper and pay the 50 bucks and be done with it.
a local in bam has done this,, seemed like a quota deal but no.. just a simple cheap licence.

a local in bam has done this,, seemed like a quota deal but no.. just a simple cheap licence.
The way I understood it from what the old man said was its not a licence its just a registration paper. The boat has a licence. Let's say you have an A licemce or a C licence or whatever. You can fish tuna. Except last year they made it to where you have to fill out a registration to fish for tuna with your licence.

Then they make it look like these guy are fishing without a licence. The licence is attached to the boat. Look at the numbers on the side of the boat!

The way I understood it from what the old man said was its not a licence its just a registration paper. The boat has a licence. Let's say you have an A licemce or a C licence or whatever. You can fish tuna. Except last year they made it to where you have to fill out a registration to fish for tuna with your licence.

Then they make it look like these guy are fishing without a licence. The licence is attached to the boat. Look at the numbers on the side of the boat!
yes the family in bam already has a registered fisher number, they just added tuna and went in a different boat. 50 bucks!

yes the family in bam already has a registered fisher number, they just added tuna and went in a different boat. 50 bucks!
Strange. All the other fisheries your not allowed to use a different boat without transferring the licence. Some in which are married to the boat

You know whats funny and most people dont know, but never did you need a special licence for tuna on a commercial boat. Any commercial boat can catch tuna. Last year they issued a registration fee of 50 bucks so DFO could track how many boats were tuna fishing ( assuming the reason ). This guy probly either didnt know or forgot to fill out the piece of paper. Just another DFO gong show. Poor guys went broke this year id assume. they should have just made him fill out the paper and pay the 50 bucks and be done with it.
I think you are maybe referring to the "CATEGORY CT TUNA LICENCE" (AKA "Schedule II Species")? They are optional add-ons to existing Groundfish licences.

Last edited:
I think you are maybe referring to the "CATEGORY CT TUNA LICENCE" (AKA "Schedule II Species")? They are optional add-ons to existing Groundfish licences.
You would know better than me whats its called in the actual document for sure.

"Prior to 2013, the harvest of tuna in Canadian fisheries waters and the high seas was included in the categories C and FC licence conditions. Tuna has since been removed from these licence conditions. Vessels holding any limited entry vessel based licence eligibility retaining Schedule II Species privileges must now apply for a separate category CT licence in order to harvest tuna in Canadian fisheries waters and the high seas."

Tough to understand all the multi layered ins and out of the licensing. Maybe I was told wrong? From the links your provide ( thanks @agentaqua )
is i'm reading this properly it wasn't last year it was 10 years ago..

Last edited:
"Prior to 2013, the harvest of tuna in Canadian fisheries waters and the high seas was included in the categories C and FC licence conditions. Tuna has since been removed from these licence conditions. Vessels holding any limited entry vessel based licence eligibility retaining Schedule II Species privileges must now apply for a separate category CT licence in order to harvest tuna in Canadian fisheries waters and the high seas."

Tough to understand all the multi layered ins and out of the licensing. Maybe I was told wrong?
Ya - commercial licencing is very complex, confusing and complicated. The key words there are: "limited entry vessel based licence eligibility retaining Schedule II Species privileges".

So, if you owned a commercial vessel-based licence prior to 2013 that had tuna in it (C & FC) or any other licence with tuna on it (ZN or L; rockfish or groundfish but not trawl and dive) - you can apply (on an annual basis) to get it added back in - IF there is a spare Schedule II licence to add to your existing valid commercial licence this year and your vessel meets length restrictions for that tuna licence.

Ya - commercial licencing is very complex, confusing and complicated. The key words there are: "limited entry vessel based licence eligibility retaining Schedule II Species privileges".

So, if you owned a commercial vessel-based licence prior to 2013 that had tuna in it (C & FC) or any other licence with tuna on it (ZN or L; rockfish or groundfish but not trawl and dive) - you can apply (on an annual basis) to get it added back in - IF there is a spare Schedule II licence to add to your existing valid commercial licence this year and your vessel meets length restrictions for that tuna licence.
Thanks for clearing that up. I think I understand what your saying. I think these old boys do not understand anything past 2013 lol.

Well then I wonder what happened there? Either they didn't renew or they didnt have a slot? Seems like a big risk to take for a company, if they didnt intitially have a licence prior to 2013

Thanks for clearing that up. I think I understand what your saying. I think these old boys do not understand anything past 2013 lol.

Well then I wonder what happened there? Either they didn't renew or they didnt have a slot? Seems like a big risk to take for a company, if they didnt intitially have a licence prior to 2013
Well, I don't know the tuna fishery - but I'll take a few guesses - assuming they could even find and lease a spare Schedule II licence that fit their boat:

* Fuel costs - Tuna are normally a LONG ways offshore and maybe not so reliable to find every year dependent upon ocean conditions. And at 7-9 kts max - it'll take a long time and a lot of fuel (@ 12+gallons per hour) to get there and back.
* Weather changes quickly too and there's nowhere to hide esp when you are slow to get back inside.
* And it is in a summer fishery with perhaps other options - especially if they were late in knocking off their halibut and other spp quota
* If they wait until they knock off their halibut quota and end-up going out in the fall - the daylight hours are short and the weather is often rough - maybe too rough to go
* meanwhile all the ice they loaded-up on in Ucluelet is melting and the crew are only paid on a basis of crew shares on profit from landed and delivered fish (if they are then paid at all). And the $30 annual renewal fee is not the same thing as the licence lease rate, neither. That's additional and likely $1500+.

These are maybe some of the reasons it is not a lucrative and well-used fishery.

Last edited:
First 14 days of the season???? Why not no fishing ever again? Is there really a public NEED for these guys to be fishing?

Back