Fisheries fines from yesterday. No names no pack drills

gungadin

FFA 78 a Rivers Inlet BC FFA 78 a Rivers Inlet BC FFA 78 a Rivers Inlet BC FFA 78 a Rivers Inlet BC FFA 78 a Richmond BC FFA 78 a For Files Appearing on 02-FEB-2023 Fine $21,500.00 Due date: 02-FEB-2028 Fine $22,500.00 Due date: 02-FEB-2028 SOP

44,000$

PFR 53 1 Esperanza BC For Files Appearing on 06-FEB-2023 G Fine $7,500.00 Due date: 06-FEB-2028 Conditions Forfeiture G Fine $10,000.00 Due date: 06-FEB 2028 Conditions Forfeiture G Fine $1,000.00 Due date: 06-FEB-2028 Conditions Forfeiture G Fine $1,000.00 Due date: 06-FEB-2028 Conditions Forfeiture

Pacific region convictions under the Fisheries Act
Name and Place of ResidenceCharge Information (Section & Description)SpeciesPenalties, Forfeitures, Prohibitions or OrdersDates of Conviction
Darcy Maier
Kitimat, British Columbia
Fisheries Act, s43
No person shall fish for salmon of a species set out in column I of an item of Schedule VI, in any Subarea, lake or stream, during the close time set out in column V of that item.
Chinook Salmon$575.002022-11-18
Bao Lam Nguyen
Edmonton, Alberta
Fisheries Act s33
No person shall purchase, sell or possess any fish that has been caught in contravention of this Act or the regulations.

British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations s18(1)(a)
(1) No person shall (a) fish unless the person holds a licence;
Rockfish / Lingcod - Receational$3000.00 and $1000.00 court-ordered fine2022-11-03
Adrian Kern
Campbell River, British Columbia
Fisheries Act s25(1)
Subject to the regulations, no person shall place or set any fishing gear or apparatus in any water, along any beach or within any fishery during a close time.
Pacific Halibut - Commercial$49,704.68 fine and an 8 month fishing prohibition 2022-10-31
James Shaw
Heriot Bay, British Columbia
Fisheries Act s43.4(1)
Every person acting under the authority of a permission referred to in section 4 or a lease or licence, whether issued under this Act or provincial legislation, shall comply with any terms and conditions of the permission, lease or licence that are imposed under the authority of this Act.
Bivalve$500.00 in court-ordered fines2022-10-24
Mario Grahammer
Terrace, British Columbia
Fisheries Act, s44
No person shall catch and retain in a day more salmon of a species set out in column I of an item of Schedule VI, of an overall length set out in column III of that item, in any Subarea, lake or stream, than the daily quota set out in column IV of that item.
Sockeye Salmon$288.00 and forfeiture of 1 Sockeye salmon2022-10-21
Paul Mundle
Fisheries Act, s49
No person shall fish for salmon by a method or with a type of gear or bait set out in column I of an item of the table to this section in any Subarea, lake or stream during the close time set out in column II of that item.
Coho Salmon$575.002022-10-18
Mariya Mamchur
Fisheries Act, s44
No person shall catch and retain in a day more salmon of a species set out in column I of an item of Schedule VI, of an overall length set out in column III of that item, in any Subarea, lake or stream, than the daily quota set out in column IV of that item.
Pink Salmon$345.00 and forfeiture of 2 Pink salmon2022-10-04
Jiaming Wang
Hazelton, British Columbia
British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations s44
Salmon - Receational$288.00 Ticket2022-10-03
Richard Crosson
Fisheries Act s62
No person shall obstruct or hinder a fishery officer, a fishery guardian or an inspector who is carrying out duties or functions under this Act.

British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations s49
No person shall fish for salmon by a method or with a type of gear or bait set out in column I of an item of the table to this section in any Subarea, lake or stream during the close time set out in column II of that item.
Salmon - Receational$1000.00 and $1500.00 court-ordered fine2022-09-22
Osamu Horii
Prince Rupert, British Columbia
Fisheries Act, s43.4(1)
Every person acting under the authority of a permission referred to in section 4 or a lease or licence, whether issued under this Act or provincial legislation, shall comply with any terms and conditions of the permission, lease or licence that are imposed under the authority of this Act.
Sockeye Salmon$863.002022-09-22
Samuel Douglas Philps
Red Deer, Alberta
Fisheries Act s63 (1)
No person shall make a false or misleading statement, whether orally or in writing, to an inspector, a fishery officer, a fishery guardian, any authority designated by a fishery officer or a fishery guardian or any authority prescribed under paragraph 38(9)(a) or (b) who is carrying out duties or functions under this Act.
Salmon - Recreational$4,000.00 fine and one year fishing prohibition2022-09-14

Pacific region convictions under the Fisheries Act
Name and Place of ResidenceCharge Information (Section & Description)SpeciesPenalties, Forfeitures, Prohibitions or OrdersDates of Conviction
Van Hien Nguyen
Prince Rupert, British Columbia
Fisheries Act s33
No person shall purchase, sell or possess any fish that has been caught in contravention of this Act or the regulations.

British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations s18(1)(a)
(1) No person shall (a) fish unless the person holds a licence;
Rockfish / Lingcod - Receational$4000.00 and $1000.00 court-ordered fine2022-09-07
Angel Emparanza
San Sebastian, Spain
British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations s49
Coho Salmon - Recreational$575.00 Ticket2022-08-24
Ry Huynh
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Fisheries Act s43.4(1)
Bivalve$1,726.00 in court-ordered fines2022-08-10
Steven Fast
Gibsons, British Columbia
British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations s18
(1) No person shall (a) fish unless the person holds a licence.
Recreational - Prawn $575.00 federal contraventions ticket2022-08-10
Wei Tan
Vancouver, British Columbia
British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations 24
(1) No person shall fish for fish of a species set out in column I of an item of Schedule IV, in any Subarea, with a type of gear or by a method set out in column III of that item during the close time set out in column IV of that item.

(2) The close time set out in column IV of item 21 of Schedule IV is considered to be fixed separately and individually for each species of fish set out in column I.
Recreational - Rockfish and Lingcod$575.00 federal contraventions ticket2022-08-03
Guo Liang
Vancouver, British Columbia
British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations
(1) No person shall fish for fish of a species set out in column I of an item of Schedule IV, in any Subarea, with a type of gear or by a method set out in column III of that item during the close time set out in column IV of that item.

(2) The close time set out in column IV of item 21 of Schedule IV is considered to be fixed separately and individually for each species of fish set out in column I.
Recreational - Rockfish and Lingcod$575.00 federal contraventions ticket2022-08-03
Jian Zhang
Richmond, British Columbia
British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations

Recreational - Rockfish and Lingcod$575.00 federal contraventions ticket2022-08-02
Walter Webb
Fisheries Act, s49
Sockeye Salmon$575.002022-07-29
Gerry Rollie
Fisheries Act, s48
No person shall catch and retain a salmon of a species set out in column I of Schedule VI, in any Subarea, lake or stream, the overall length of which is less than the minimum overall length set out in column II.
Chinook Salmon$288.00 and forfeiture of 1 undersized Chinook salmon2022-07-29
Richard Parker
Vanderhoof, British Columbia
British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations s44
Chinook Salmon - Recreational$288.00 Ticket2022-07-28
Bryce Knechtel
Fisheries Act, s49
Chinook Salmon$575.002022-07-27
Haoba Chi
Burnaby, British Columbia
British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations s24

Recreational - Rockfish and Lingcod$575.00 federal contraventions ticket2022-07-25
Michele Fisher
Fort Nelson, British Columbia
British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations s43
No person shall fish for salmon of a species set out in column I of an item of Schedule VI, in any Subarea, lake or stream, during the close time set out in column V of that item.
Chinook Salmon - Recreational$575.00 Ticket2022-07-22
Bradley Kendell
Fort Nelson, British Columbia
British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations s25(1)
No person shall catch and retain in a day more fish of a species set out in column I of Schedule IV, in any Subarea, than the daily quota set out in column II.
Halibut - Recreational $288.00 Ticket2022-07-22
Piotr Skokowski
Fisheries Act, s49
Chinook Salmon$575.002022-07-21
Shane Goretzky
Vanderhoof, British Columbia
British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations s37(1)(b)
No person shall catch and retain (b) a Dungeness crab that measures less than 165 mm in a straight line through the greatest breadth of the carapace.
Dungeness Crab - Recreational $345.00 Ticket2022-07-16
Eric Goretzky
Lumsden, Saskawatchewan
No person shall catch and retain (b) a Dungeness crab that measures less than 165 mm in a straight line through the greatest breadth of the carapace.
Duane Goretzky
Peachland, British Columbia
Janet Plummer
Fisheries Act, s25(1)
No person shall catch and retain in a day more fish of a species set out in column I of Schedule IV, in any Subarea, than the daily quota set out in column II.
Yelloweye Rockfish$288.00 and forfeiture of 1 Yelloweye Rockfish2022-07-12

Kelowna, British ColumbiaFisheries Act s33

Fisheries Act s49 (1.2)(a)
Give the officer or guardian all reasonable assistance to enable the officer or guardian to carry out the inspection and exercise any power conferred by this section.
Salmon - Recreational$5,000.002023-02-23

Victoria, British Columbia
Fisheries Act, s25(1)
Subject to the regulations, no person shall place or set any fishing gear or apparatus in any water, along any beach or within any fishery during a close time.
Prawn - Commercial $6,000.00 court-ordered fine2022-12-1

In my recent conversation with the Shaun Tadei, a senior DFO officer in Nanaimo, he made it clear that’s not enough to just have a descending device on-board. It should be ready to go. The best setup is the SeaQualizer attached to your downrigger at, or near, your cannonball weight at all times.

I have 2 such devices on board but only actively use them when fishing for bottom fish. (never have caught yelloweye fishing any other way. Not to mention that if you are fishing in many popular fishing spots good luck trying to catch a yellow even if you are targeting them!).

So if you are not intending to fish anywhere close to the bottom (where the yellow eye are found) and are targeting salmon, not bottom fish - where does it say in the DFO fishing regs that it must be "ready to go"?

More importantly what is the legal definition of "ready to go" and how do the regs define "should be ready to go"?

This article is poorly written and confusing to say the least!

Last edited:
Actual condition of licenses says you have to be ready to send back down within 2 min or as quickly as possible. I think a judge would throw out the ticket if you had the device ready to go but not on your gear.

ROCKFISH DESCENDING DEVICES

The use of a descending device is now required by condition of licence to
assist in the conservation and survivability of rockfish being returned to the
water. Because of their closed swim bladders, rockfish brought to the surface
suffer barotrauma, causing the swim bladder to inflate and reducing the
probability of their survival upon release. Handle catch as little as possible,
using wet hands to preserve the protective slime coat, and return to the water
at depth of capture as quickly as possible (under two minutes). To avoid
catching rockfish, move to another fishing location.

Back