Fisheries fines from yesterday. No names no pack drills

Deport them
There are certain sectors/boats/skippers/social networks within the commercial fleet that are not just problematic - but regularly participate in organized crime. Anyone involved in these sectors totally understands this reality & occasionally sees or experiences it firsthand - as does DFO C&P. Sometimes it gets as far as the courts if C&P are lucky enough to catch the occasional infraction and sometimes the news picks up on it and we get some insights into that organization of fish crime.

In particular is the crab fleet - both out of Vancouver (Area C) and Prince Rupert (Area A) - and elsewhere where there are easy offloading opportunities. Soft shell crab is often kept and sold illegally under the table - in areas away from the normal buyers - often in Alberta and elsewhere. Drug money is re-invested into boat repairs and cleaned that way. Hard for a normal hardworking legal crab fishermen to compete - esp now with trap limits set by area.

Nobody bats an eye when anyone states that a certain section of the Italian community is involved in the mafia organized crime in big cities in the states - but we haven't yet come to the social acceptance of admitting that a similar style of culturally hidden organized crime exists in our outports on the West Coast.

And the Vietnamese organized crime network is not the only network or culture involved in fish crime on the West Coast neither. I am speaking with some experience in these issues.

That probably isn't their first trip too. That fine is laughable. But like Ship Happens said on the other post, they might have just forgot to pay the $50 license fee. Another classic case of mismanagement.

Yeah who knows what actually happened there. Either they knew they didn't have a slot to to activate their tuna licence, or they forgot or who knows. Either way that boat has the licence, just wasn't active. To try and understand a commercial licence now is like trying to understand how they landed a robot on Mars. Let's make things more complicated. Why not

I feel sorry for the crew. They went out and worked their butts off to make zero crew share.

I wondered if that’s why this boat was on the hard at Steveston Harbor Authority for so long last year. Cope/Walker boat.

wow some really prolific offenders, and some other pretty minor ones too. fines seem wildly all over the map. sometimes I dont agree with the rules or opinions of the DFO ive met with but I guess you have to play the game

Some of these fines have been popping up in my research lately and I was surprised at the fines handed out. Then I found another article suggesting a large sum goes unpaid...

At least they're out there crackin' skulls

We seen a boat get boarded up at the work channel last August and fish being taken away. Was always curious what they got nailed with hopefully I’ll find out on this thread.

Didn’t want to ask as I got boarded right after and they weren’t in a good mood so I just left it alone and let them do their job.

It is nice to see the fines starting to be a deterrent.

We seen a boat get boarded up at the work channel last August and fish being taken away. Was always curious what they got nailed with hopefully I’ll find out on this thread.

Didn’t want to ask as I got boarded right after and they weren’t in a good mood so I just left it alone and let them do their job.

It is nice to see the fines starting to be a deterrent.

not enough to be a deterrent to the commercial black market. it keeps going unfortunately.

I wondered if that’s why this boat was on the hard at Steveston Harbor Authority for so long last year. Cope/Walker boat.
Nope that boat was on the hard getting work done and Im pretty sure its moored there now. They put trolling poles on that boat now

He is only the "captian" of the DS. So court ruled what they ruled

Back