Fish Descender Weight?

I used a bent up spreader bar like the Shelton… it’s fine for the odd fish but if your doing it half a dozen times or the seas are rough it is a pain keeping them on and lowering effectively. You don’t want to be loosing fish then trying to net again with a tide etc. For lowest impact on the fish and my time I’ll be buying Seaquilizer.
Question though are most guys using the shallow version or deep? The majority of my rockfish are from 100-200feet, thought to get a few at 250+…is the shallow 150’ max release actually adequate for fish caught up to 300’?

I used a bent up spreader bar like the Shelton… it’s fine for the odd fish but if your doing it half a dozen times or the seas are rough it is a pain keeping them on and lowering effectively. You don’t want to be loosing fish then trying to net again with a tide etc. For lowest impact on the fish and my time I’ll be buying Seaquilizer.
Question though are most guys using the shallow version or deep? The majority of my rockfish are from 100-200feet, thought to get a few at 250+…is the shallow 150’ max release actually adequate for fish caught up to 300’?
We have had yellow eye float up from 300-350 if only descending to 150’.
We also have a decender made out of an old spreader bar as a backup.

Do you have to have one on board ready to go if your trolling for salmon?
No. But even a LARGE barbless hook tied upside down will work at a pinch if you troll up a rockfish from deep that you don’t wAnt.

Last edited:
Back