Fish Box and Platform....I know you guys have an opionion!

Andrew P

Hey Guys,

I need some feedback here...especially before I shell out a bunch of cash and time.

I want to build a cutting table/platform with some built in fish/prawn/crab well built in along with a couple bait wells. The idea is to have it sit into the splash well at the back. Note the squares on either side which are where my downriggers mount...but there was no downrigger model to plug into the mockup. I'll need to figure something out for the kicker too...but I don't generally fish off of it(only 2.5hp) so really just for safety.

Boat: 1625 Harbercraft Aluminum
Engine: 60hp Yamaha(need to leave space for it to lift and turn).

I figured making it out of aluminum would probably be the right move for durability and weight.

Here are a couple of pictures of what I am thinking soooooo far. I mocked it up in google sketch up last night to get a feel for it. I will certainly tweak the design and hope to get some good input from you guys.

Some other things that should be incorporated maybe:

Beer box
cup holders
center rod holder
gaff holder

ps....and if anyone knows of a welder who would be keen on helping me out with this project without taking all of my money...let me know!

Thanks!!

AndrewScreen Shot 2012-12-12 at 3.16.58 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-12-11 at 11.41.47 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-12-11 at 11.38.23 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-12-12 at 3.56.02 PM.jpg577625_10151757566370133_138940914_n.jpg

I like it, the engine well always seems to be used as storage of some sort anyway - once even saw a man use one as toilet.

Guys...

highest-paying-dirty-job-7.jpg

I just got back from searching the bowels of this forum...

I came to tell you that you don't poop in motor wells.... Thats what pods are for...

IMG00156-20110521-1001.jpg

:D

You thought people forgot

And Andrew that would be a sweet mod As long as you aren't hitting the cowling when the motor comes up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a aluminum trough fabricated big enough to bleed out 6 or 7 springs at a time (yes-- I am optimistic LOL) . It has a drain hose that discharges over the transom next to the motor.
IMGP2209.jpg

It has a wooden cutting table that also acts as a lid.
IMGP2229.jpg

The only disadvantage of this system is it has to be removed before docking, as there is not enough room for the motor to fully tilt. But it just hangs on the false transom so its no big deal. This works well for me, but there are other much more sophisticated designs that do the same thing .. Do a search -- its been discussed before.
Good luck

That is the only disadvantage I see is the motor tilting thing. If your fine with taking the whole assembly out everytime then cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking set up Cuba.

I think that motor tilting is a must for me. I see this as a semi-permanent part of the boat....it can come out to get a good clean, but I don't want to have to take it out everytime the motor needs to come up(and the boat is too small anyways). I have measured it so that the motor can lift and turn without hitting.

Here is the next version....beer holders added along with downriggers.

Screen Shot 2012-12-13 at 8.23.10 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-12-13 at 8.31.03 AM.jpg

I like it, good call on the cup holders - never underestimate the need for lots of cup holders in a smaller boat.

V2.0!!

Ok,

Here is the next version.

Changes:
-I added a couple rod/gaff holders. Too near to center??
-Made the openings a bit bigger to fit the fish in and out of.
-verified all dimensions and clearance amounts with the boat.

I was thinking that making up a removable wooden cutting board that went over top for cleaning fish on would be a good idea. I would probably put a couple dowels coming off the bottom of the board that would slip into the center rod holders to secure it while cleaning fish...or something like that.

Screen Shot 2012-12-14 at 2.59.37 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-12-14 at 2.59.03 PM.jpg

Good idea on the dowels. Similar to mine. I have run a 1" x 1" under the board that fits into the trough (bleeding box) to keep the table in place. Works just fine. One fishing partner has had a aluminum/nylon cleaning table fabricated for his 20 ft tin boat... he looked at mine and made sure it gave enough clearance so he could raise his 200 Yammie. he had to forgo the bleeding box to do that. No such thing as a perfect boat LOL!!!
BTW- I only keep the fish in the aluminum box long enough to bleed out and filet. I carry a large ice chest for the finished product. But, its what ever suits your needs. Last season I found that it would have been nice to have the table raised another 8" so I didnt have to lean over when filleting a fish! A shorter guy would not have had that issue! One last thing-- if you dont have a raw water wash-down pump-- get one. They really help on the clean up

I 'm keen to see what you decide to do Andrew because I have the same boat......2007 1725 with a 90hp and 6hp merc. I've been thinking of adding a bracket to hold a cooler on the driver side above the control cables. The cooler will be resting on the transom with some of the cooler out the back of the boat facing north-south. Figured it would be nice to be able to easily remove a cooler (and mess) at the end of the day. Looking at my control cables, kicker and space need for tilting the engine, I don't see a lot of room left for a storage compartment. Again, I am very keen to see the final product!

x2 on raising the table up 8". Helps with clearance for motor when tilted up too.

That's a good idea, nice not to lean over so far as well to clean a fish - good call. Get this all sorted out Andrew and I might have you design one for my project boat if you're up for it.

V3.0!

Thanks for the great feedback guys.

Blue, you are certainly right that it is a tight space.

As for bleeding...I personally like to put the fish straight into some ice salt water and cut the gills. It seems to get a longer bleed out. (certainly correct me if this is wrong!!). So, I would have a plug in each corner and then it would drain out the existing holes in the transom. This could also bleed them out fine with no water.

Changes:

-Added raised, removable cutting board.
-Angled back wall of splash well to create more capacity and allow fish to lie flat along.
-found an actual salmon model that someone made. I scaled it to a 90cm fish.

The peices are getting pretty technical....but nothing a cnc machine can't handle.

This is starting to look pretty good.

-Screen Shot 2012-12-15 at 9.13.09 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-12-15 at 9.05.15 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-12-15 at 9.04.19 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-12-15 at 9.03.38 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2012-12-15 at 9.02.49 AM.jpg

Thanks for the great feedback guys.

-Angled back wall of splash well to create more capacity and allow fish to lie flat along.
-found an actual salmon model that someone made. I scaled it to a 90cm fish.

-View attachment 5430View attachment 5431View attachment 5432View attachment 5433View attachment 5434

As Cuba Libre mentioned "BTW- I only keep the fish in the aluminum box long enough to bleed out and filet. I carry a large ice chest for the finished product"
Aluminum will warm up pretty quick in the hot sun so as a fish box storage or bait well you are gonna have to insulate those compartments which will use up space ...or use a ice chest to store the fish

Back