Feds look at making fishing industry safer. Guides note this.

OldBlackDog

Federal government looks to make fishing industry safer
FFAW says safer is better, but consult harvesters first
The lack of use of Personal Flotation Devices (PFDs) has resulted in the fishing industry being on the 'watch list' of the Transportation and Safety Board since 2010. (CBC News)
The federal minister of transport and the head of Fish, Food and Allied Workers agree the fishing industry could be safer.

The comments come after the Transportation Safety Board of Canada said the industry is on their 'watch list'.

"I think it's always good if people are looking at increasing safety on the water," FFAW head Keith Sullivan told CBC.

"But it has to be done in consultation with fisherman, for sure."

keith-sullivan.JPG

FFAW president Keith Sullivan said "Safety in the fishery is something that's very important for the FFAW members. One of the fundamental things." (Terry Roberts/CBC)

The TSB said the fishing industry has been on its 'watch list' since 2010 for two main reasons: use of PFDs and the safety of vessels.

Sullivan said he believes the situation is improving, however.

"I believe now there are more and more harvesters wearing [PFDs], Sullivan said.

"I believe we are making progress but we have a lot further to go."

marc-garneau.jpg

Minister of Transport Marc Garneau "We would like all fisherman to wear PFDs. No question about it, as part of safety. That's an important part of the job." (CBC)

The hope is education nationally and locally will help increase the use of the personal floatation devices.

Minister of Transport Marc Garneau said wearing PFDs is important and that his department has already looked at the safety of boats smaller than 24.4 metres.

"Stability of a vessel is critical as well," Garneau said.

"I'm ex-Navy, I know all about stability in a ship. We have come out with measures recently that are for small vessels."

Garneau said the next step is looking at vessels of all sizes, something that is not complete but which he says his department is working on.

Sullivan said safety in the industry is a fundamental thing for his organization's members, and he'd like to see them involved before changes are made.

He said decisions made in Ottawa are "not necessarily practical for people who are making a living fishing."

Back