Evinrude Tilt Question

Adler

I've got a 70hp Evinrude vro, mid 80's vintage, and there is a problem with the power tilt. When trying to lift it, it makes only a very quiet noise (it is getting power) like its struggling and lifts very, very slowly, until it gets to about 1/2-3/4 lifted, and then it picks up the pace a little and gets louder. Down is only slightly better. When I lift and drop in quick succession (i.e. all the way up and then down and back up), it works regularly (after a couple of goes), but let it sit for 5 minutes, and it's back to the slow and quiet lift.

As it works normally after doing it a couple times, I ruled out a battery issue (and I've tested them too). I'm wondering if it could be a fluid issue (I'll add more tomorrow), a connection issue (will play with and clean those tomorrow too), or a system failure issue, in which case, I would be looking to take it to the shop I guess. Any thoughts are welcome!

Changing the fluid is a good place to start. I would try to get as much of the old fluid out as possible. I cant recall if there is a drain but maybe taking the bypass valve out would drain the system. Changing the motor might turn into a rabbit hole, an engine of that vintage if its spent any time in the salt will almost certainly not want to come apart willingly. Been there don that with my 86 150. Start with an ATF flush and fill, hopefully that will be the extent of it.

Back