Early Season Spoon Size.... & patterns

What depth are you fishing out deeper? Is the 90-150' the depth to bottom or depth fishing?

I will definitely try this. Instead of working bird II for 3 days strait

To bottom, had some fun days free spooling weighted rods to the bottom off green then kicking the boat in and out of gear. Move around. Bird, Snake (Bird 2), Parker Point, Mazzerado's (usually some bigger halibut around there too just use your rigger and keep it slow and just off bottom) Edenshaw can light up, off Shag Rock get your lings jigging. Get the Navionics app for your phone or have a GPS so you can dial in some of the contours.

To bottom, had some fun days free spooling weighted rods to the bottom off green then kicking the boat in and out of gear. Move around. Bird, Snake (Bird 2), Parker Point, Mazzerado's (usually some bigger halibut around there too just use your rigger and keep it slow and just off bottom) Edenshaw can light up, off Shag Rock get your lings jigging. Get the Navionics app for your phone or have a GPS so you can dial in some of the contours.

Perfect! Love the advice! I will follow up with this thread after my trip.

I found some coyote 6.0 live image spoons on Berrys Bait website. I am ordering a couple today to try out.

I have always heard to replace the hooks. Any recommendations on what type?

I found some coyote 6.0 live image spoons on Berrys Bait website. I am ordering a couple today to try out.

I have always heard to replace the hooks. Any recommendations on what type?

mustad 9510 5/0 or 6/0.

That is what the spoon came with when they were made in USA. You want a hook which is not too heavy. The spoon is a flutter spoon and you cannot add too much speed

The Maruto 5/0 and 6/0 are great sizes for the 6.0 Coyote and I have been running these hooks on 6/0 Coyotes since 2012.

I ran an overnight guided trip to Thrasher and killed 24 Chinooks on 2 days in 2012 with 6 guests. I have those spoons retired from that day. The smallest was 12 pounds and the largest 24 pounds. Most were high teens.

Last edited:
Thanks agian for the info. I will order up the replacement books with the spoons today.

Lot's of good options for hooks. I prefer a Mustard 95170SS whenever possible - learned the merits of that hook from some commies back in the 80's (upturned point). The owner siwash is a fantastic hook; it is very light (a good thing) but is not stainless steel like the Mustad. I tend to use Tomic spoons these past years with the Mustad hook. I tend to use same size hook as spoon length. FYI as I recall the gammy big river is NOT an open eye hook & may not be suitable for this application.

Make sure you give us an epic report when you get back from your trip!

Will do!!

I am at QCL from June 9-12 & then Hippa from June 14-18.
I will give reports on both.

Epic. good to go!

See u at the airport. I'm North king bound the 9th :)

Right on! May we both be successful & hook some fish in the face.

Fished a true feedings frenzy at Ucluelet in 2009. Fish were 25-38lb so we stopped the boat on every hook-up. Before we got the second rod up fish were hitting the spoon while we were stopped - if there are LOT's of fish, they are hitting anything that doesn't move.

As for color, one theory is lighter in the early season , darker later in the season (cop car). Killer color is "super trooper"; cop car with a green stripe down the middle. If it were me I'd pull a plug right off the rocks at 4mph to keep the rocky's off. The big Coyote's can be pulled fast as well.

Back