Downrigger question: keep older Cannon Mag 10s or buy new Scotty 1106s

Another problem with vertical spools (Cannon)

I bought a new to me boat in 1997 ---it came with a pair of brand new Cannons. Took my daughter out on a maiden voyage to go catch a winter spring.

First drop of the Cannon on her side---that vertical spool sucked her hair into the wire and pulled a chunk of hair out of her scalp. Really

The pair of Cannons went on eBay that evening and I purchased a pair of Scotties later that week and NEVER looked back.

The new hi-speed Scotties: lots of good comments from Rockfish. But I'll never buy a hi-speed even if purchase price was on parr with the older model: reason: I WANT the nice slow methodical retrieve that the older Scotties give me: I fish bait and I have caught COUNTLESS springs on the way up while the herring is still in the clip working its magic.

HI-speed retrieve: not a good mix for a guy who fishes bait.

Just my two cents... (highly inflated currency, probably worth one cent on the current currency market)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have sometimes thought it would be a nice feature if Scotty were to provide a switch on the High Speeds that would essentially make them duel speed while still keeping the torque for heavy lifting at both speeds. That would give you the best of both worlds and would allow you to match the fishing need or circumstances. If I wanted to tap it up a foot on the surface, I would switch to the slower speed first etc. Not sure of the technical challenge for this. Would a resistor do it or would you need some sort of two speed transmission?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go with the Scotty 1106's I run the 1101's on my boat and they have worked flawlessly.. remember Scotty has the best warranty in the business..

I run a pair of ancient Scotty electrics that have no problem with 15 lb balls and were cheap like borscht used. I would suggest losing the Cannons just because of parts availability and getting a pair of used Scotties and a manual Scotty as a back-up if you are concerned about lost time on the water.

New riggers are nice, I'm sure, but you could buy two very good reels with the surplus cash.

Why not run them first and then make a decision.
That's pretty much what I've been doing. The only issues I've had relate to the sensitivity of the up/down switch (which I've gotten used to) and the fact that you really can't "stack" rods on one rigger. I can't justify spending a grand or so on new Scotties, but certainly will replace my Canons with Scotties when they break.

Back