Downrigger question: keep older Cannon Mag 10s or buy new Scotty 1106s

Pineapple Express

Want to get some thoughts about what to do with my downriggers. I am just getting in to ocean fishing and will fish maybe 10-15 days/year. I know this part of the world is Scotty territory so maybe that will skew the answers.

I recently bought some used Cannon Mag10 downriggers which I used for the first time this weekend. The downriggers are older and are in a correspondingly scuffed up condition but both worked more or less as they should. One of them has a wonky up/down switch but it did work. However, both downriggers need to have the wires replaced.

Are these things worth spending money and time on? I am going to be working at a mine up north this summer and will have limited, short periods here in town when I can go fishing. I don't want to **** around with unreliable equipment.

My other option is to sell the Cannons for what I paid and go buy two new Scotty 1106s. This would be more than double the cost so I'm not racing to do it just yet.

Fishing will be in the lower Straight of Georgia and English Bay/Howe Sound.

Thoughts?

I guess I should say I'd be open to other suggestions instead of the Scotty 1106. I will typically fish single-handed. I don't think that I will appreciate the value of the HP series, but if another model like the Scotty 1116 is better value then I'd consider it.

Open to recommendations on local suppliers too. Where do I buy Cannon parts? I'm guessing that any downrigger wire will work with the Cannon units? Where is the best place to buy Scotty downriggers?

Thanks!

buy some used scotties from someone who has upgraded to hp's.

My boat came with cannons but I ended up buying some used Scotty's. They are a local company that stands by there product . Also parts are available everywhere for them.

Where do I buy Cannon parts? I'm guessing that any downrigger wire will work with the Cannon units? Where is the best place to buy Scotty downriggers?

I mean this to be constructive, but this is exactly why you should go with Scotty.

I have 1106 on the Double Eagle you saw us fishing and have used Scotty's since I was a kid.

Easy to use, low maintenance, parts can be found ANYWHERE, lots of people on this forum can help you with them if you need advice in the future (not so much with the Cannons)

Scotty riggers come with a lifetime warranty, so buy it once and be done with it. :D

only regret I have is not getting the HP 2106, as now I will have to upgrade in the future...

I mean this to be constructive, but this is exactly why you should go with Scotty.

I have 1106 on the Double Eagle you saw us fishing and have used Scotty's since I was a kid.

Easy to use, low maintenance, parts can be found ANYWHERE, lots of people on this forum can help you with them if you need advice in the future (not so much with the Cannons)

Scotty riggers come with a lifetime warranty, so buy it once and be done with it. :D

only regret I have is not getting the HP 2106, as now I will have to upgrade in the future...

I appreciate all the responses but this response is the most constructive. A question for you though: is the 2106 a necessary upgrade?

Prices from Steveston Marine website:
1106 $469.99
2106 $589.99

For a pair, after tax, the 1106s are $1052.80. The 2106s are $1321.58. Are the 2106s worth a $268 incremental cost?

If you are in a big hurry, get the HP model
if you can deal with a normal pace, the 1106 work just fine.
I wouldn't spend the extra $300
JMHO

I have exactly the same dilemma that you have - but am going to hang in with the Canon's until I can justify spending a grand on Scotties. In answer to you question on line, though, yes - any metal line will do. Note though, that you must use metal line in order for the positive ion automatic stop to work. Braid won't do it.

Scotty is really reliable downrigger and great with their service. Dave Steele at Highwater Tackle does their servicing for the Vancouver area and can't say enough good things about the service he's provided me. I would recommend the upgrade to Scotty's. Especially if you think you could sell your Cannons for what you bought them for.

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess I'll have to think about what to do. I just don't want to be nickle and dimed constantly to keep the old Cannons going. Just want the gear to work when I want to be on the water.

These guys have a pretty good selection of parts at pretty reasonable prices. Shipping isn't a killer - particularly if you can get to Pt Roberts easily. Have it shipped to a mail drop there. I've used mine a lot for two years now and have only replaced the cable and the cable terminal attachment stuff - which I got from these folks.
http://www.fish307.com

I appreciate all the responses but this response is the most constructive. A question for you though: is the 2106 a necessary upgrade?

Prices from Steveston Marine website:
1106 $469.99
2106 $589.99

For a pair, after tax, the 1106s are $1052.80. The 2106s are $1321.58. Are the 2106s worth a $268 incremental cost?

I would by no means say it is a necessary upgrade.

As mentioned by many, the 1106 do the job just fine.

If you have money to spend and want the best product available, get the 2106.. if not, get the 1106's as we did on the Double Eagle, as it is also a very good product.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
These guys have a pretty good selection of parts at pretty reasonable prices. Shipping isn't a killer - particularly if you can get to Pt Roberts easily. Have it shipped to a mail drop there. I've used mine a lot for two years now and have only replaced the cable and the cable terminal attachment stuff - which I got from these folks.
http://www.fish307.com

Great link, thank you!

We have both high speed and regular speed Scotty Riggers.

Advantage of the High Speeds.

Can handle heavy balls and fishing very deep with ease, which is critical for more successful fishing in high current areas and/or when you need to fish deep while fighting current and blow back. In those circumstances the High Speeds catch more salmon, especially Chinook and is the main reason we fish them.

Speed – Sometimes the bite, particularly secondary bites will come on only for a short time. The ability to get up and down quickly may be the difference between one big slab in the boat and three and perhaps in winning a derby or not.
The high speed will also allow you to fish in closer around reefs and structure and clear them quickly rather than get hung up when you hit the up button. This at times can also increase your productivity.

When fishing shallower, the heavy balls used with high speeds will stay under the boat more which will allow you to watch them on the sounder at greater depth and is also better for fishing in tight with a lot of other boats with less catching of gear between boats.

The Down Side of High Speeds

Higher purchase price.

Draw several times the amps/current and have a greater potential to drain boat batteries than regular speed riggers.

The counters use batteries and have to be replaced about every 5 years at considerable cost. I think it is around $50.

They are very unforgiving because they have so much torque and speed, especially with the light 10 and 12 lb balls. For example if you wish to have the ball clear the water so a fish you are playing does not catch on it and tap the up button to bring it up a foot out of the water it can react so quickly that it may slam the terminal gear/ball into the pulley and tear off the gear dropping the ball to the bottom. You really have to pay attention and even then will likely lose more gear. Because of the extreme speed and power they also have a tendency to damage or rip off the auto stop clips. For this reason I prefer the gangion cord rigging method that does not require auto stops. If you fish them all the time you tend to get use to them but if you have someone who is only experienced with the regular speed riggers come on your boat they are more likely to be breaking off gear because they are not use to the torque and speed.

Because you are using heavier weights/balls and working at higher speeds, terminal gear and cable are subject to more force and wear and need to be checked/retied and replaced more frequently or you will have more gear failures and lost balls. Rigger cables, swivels etc. wear out faster so gear costs more.

Heavy balls cost more so on average when you lose them you will be spending more money to replace them.

If I recall correctly.....IronNoggin (up in Ukee) uses Cannons on his charter boat and swears by them...

Personally I have a pair of Scotty electrics that I've been using for 15 years now.......(not HP....) and they've been virtually bulletproof. Still using the original belts that came with them.

The faster uptake would be nice on somedays.........but I hear you about the "button-tapping" thing when the ball is right at the surface.....even on my old Scotty's I watch that closely.

You cant go wrong with the Scotty's, but Also the Cannon's are quality built downriggers and many people prefer them.. wholesale sports in Nanaimo is a Cannon dealer and should have any parts you might need.. why buy new deeplines when new wire will do?

I got rid of my Cannons very quickly. Fishing the west coast banks in slop i proceeded to bring in a down rigger while playing a fish. The boat dropped in a trough, the line came off the spool and wrapped around the hub. A reel problem.

^ That's one thing common with a lot of downriggers with the vertical spool, done that before, dropped the ball down to pop the clip, hit bottom and had a real mess on my hands. Good for some swearing practice.

I do really like my Cannon mag 20. Comes with a black box in it (Meaning you should run wire though). You can alternate voltage, pretty cool. I also have the cable kit/controller to vary depth/bottom track, which is wicked, but I don't have a humminbird FF so I don't use it.

When I get my scotty we will see what side gets more fish. So far none, in a huge slump weekends I've been out (prob only 20 hours or so, hardly marked any fish)

Back